Chapter 38

Shawn

I arrive at the arena and make my way inside. There's snow covering the parking lot and grass in a blanket of white as I make my way up the steps outside the entrance. I can't believe it's already our last game before Christmas break. Hell, I can't believe it's already December nineteenth. I always have loved this time of year, Christmas being my favorite holiday. I love the cold weather, the Christmas lights, the outdoor skating, the tobogganing, the hot chocolate. I get to the dressing room and greet a few of the guys already there as I change and start to warm up.

The last six weeks have been a whirlwind. After out eventful rivalry weekend, Lyla and I fell back into our normal routine. I saw her pretty much every day. She hasn't missed a single one of my home games. We agreed to a new rule that she always brings someone with her to my games and she sits in the same seats behind my bench every time. Well more like she finally agreed with my pleading after I practically begged her. Usually she brings Megan with her to my games. A few weeks ago her parents came back up to visit and she sat with them. We went out for food again after the game and her father spoke a few more sentences to me this time around. I can tell I have her mother sold on me though as she gushed over me throughout dinner.

Christmas is a week away and I still haven't broached the topic with Lyla since the diner. We have both been so busy with finals and practices that I didn't want to add any stress onto her plate. Her track practices have now moved indoors to a facility on campus that has a track among other equipment. I've helped out a few times again to meet my volunteer requirements for the team. Not that I mind anymore though, getting to watch Lyla in the spandex shorts she always wears is not work for me.

I return to the dressing room and start to get into my equipment. I hear coach come in and he gives us a pep talk, congratulating us on our season so far. We are currently seated in first place in our league. The team we are playing tonight is in fourth so we shouldn't have any issues getting another win tonight. We have one more practice before Christmas on the twenty first. Then we get a small break before we come back for practice on the twenty eighth and our next game is on the twenty ninth.

I'm looking forward to the break, as much as I'll miss being on the ice. I'm really hoping that I can convince Lyla to let me come visit with her family for a few days over break. I already spoke with my dad and sister about it, agreeing that I would definitely be home for Christmas day. They were happy as long as I wouldn't miss the day itself. Over the last couple of months, I have talked both their ears off about Lyla so I'm sure they understood my desire to spend some of the holidays with her. My sister interrogated me with questions about Lyla over the phone and sulked when I told her that Lyla wouldn't make it for a visit this Christmas so she would have to wait to meet her.

I step out onto the ice and glide into my warm up laps. I glance up to the stands and see Lyla sitting in her spot behind the bench with Megan at her side. Her eyes were already on me and she waves at me with a bright beautiful smile. I give her a head nod back then turn my focus back to the game.

I walk out of the dressing room excited to see Lyla. We won our game 3-0 and I have a pep in my step knowing after practice on Sunday I get a nice break to kick back and relax. When I make it up the stairs, I see Lyla and Megan waiting in front of the fan shop chatting away, unaware as I approach. I sneak up behind her and in a quick motion wrap my arms around her and pull her up off the ground. She squeals out loudly in surprise then starts to laugh as I lower her feet back to the ground. My arms stay around her as I lean down and tilt my head to kiss her on the cheek.

"Great game honey," she tells me proudly and I smile at the use of the pet name.

"You two are so adorable it makes me nauseous," Megan comments to us and Lyla giggles again as I stick my tongue out at Megan. Megan tells us that Max is waiting for her outside as her ride. She is leaving in the morning to head home for Christmas so she wishes us both a Merry Christmas and hugs us before she heads out the door. Lyla turns in my arms to face me and plants a slow kiss on my lips.