Chapter 16

Shawn

Lyla drags me out of the restaurant as I am still stunned by the kiss she just planted on me. As soon as we hit the sidewalk and the door closes behind us she bursts into a fit of laughter.

"I'm sorry," she says between laughs, "I just had to do that. I mean did you see the look on her face? Priceless!" She continues to laugh and I find myself intoxicated by her in this moment. The kiss had surprised me, no doubt about it, but it was a happy surprise. I knew what she was doing, she was staking her claim, making a statement that I had no problem helping her out with. She has no idea what a turn on it was for her to take control like that and want to make it known that I am with her. If only I had been lucky enough to have Andrew walking by and seen the kiss too, that would have been the icing on the cake. Although, I admit I started to feel sorry for the guy by the end of dinner, he had a permanent pout on his face every time he had to come back to our table. Lyla starts to make her way down the sidewalk, back towards my car and she reaches out for my hand.

"So, what's next?" She asks as she smiles up towards me eagerly and I take her hand.

"Well," I start, "We can go check out a movie if you'd like or we could go grab a drink somewhere or take a walk. I am up for anything if you have any ideas as well." I offer as we reach my car and stop on the sidewalk beside it. I watch her intently as she brings her hand up to her chin and uses her index finger to tap her chin like she is in deep thought. It is adorable and sexy at the same time and I just watch her, content to stand on this sidewalk all night with her if that's what she chooses to do.

"Hmmm," she hums out as she contemplates her options. "Let's go for a drink, I would like to chat some more and you can't do that in a movie theater. Plus, I have class in the morning and don't know if I'd be able to make it through a whole movie at this point." She giggles softly and I smile down at her, nodding in agreement.

"There's a place just down the road if you want to walk?" I suggest to her and she responds by pulling on my hand and starting off down the sidewalk towards the bar.

"What class do you have in the morning?" I ask as we walk together, her delicate hand fitting perfectly in mine.

"English. What about you, any early classes tomorrow?"

"I have calculus at ten."

"That sounds interesting," she teases sarcastically and I squeeze her hand lightly in mine.

"Well I find it fascinating," I retort as I glance downward at her and she turns her head to smirk up at me.

"That's always a good way to feel about a class."

"Do you have any other classes tomorrow?"

"I have two in the afternoon; bio and nutrition. Then I have track practice."

"Right track practice," I grimace when I'm reminded of the fact that Tyler is helping at her track practice tomorrow. I try to not let it ruin the good mood I am in right now and push it from my mind.

"It will be fine," she tells me as if she's reading my mind. She gives my hand a squeeze and smiles up at me reassuringly.

"If he says anything or does anything stupid, I want you to tell me okay. And call me if you need me for anything," I tell her and realize how desperate I am sounding, but I don't care.

"Of course," she agrees as we reach the door of the bar and head inside. I spot an empty table near the back corner and lead the way over to it. It is a high top table and we sit on either side of it facing one another. Our server comes up almost immediately and I breathe a sigh of relief when it's a middle aged woman who appears uninterested in anything to do with us except our drink choice. Lyla orders a hot chocolate and I order a coffee for myself before the server leaves us to ourselves.