Sophomore Year Huh?

I slip on my jacket silently and throw my bag over my shoulders, jogging down the stairs and glancing at my mom who was passed out on the sofa with a bottle of liquor in her hand. I grab my keys off the key rack and close the door, locking it up. I look around before stuffing my hands in my pockets and hurrying for the school bus.
Stopping at the bus stop, I glance at the other students who usually wait here with me before I lean against the stop sign and take out my phone, ignoring the nip of the morning weather. I stick my ear buds in my ear and turn up my music enough to drown out the background noise.
I finish one song on my playlist before the bus pulls up and I'm the first on it. I nod with a small smile to the bus driver before taking a seat in the second seat from the front, pressing myself to the window. A couple stops later a body jumps onto the seat next to me and I look over to see Bernadette.
She grins at me and takes out my ear buds. Bernadette is what you classify as naturally beautiful. She has pale blue eyes and cute freckles on the apples of her cheeks. She has a clear porcelain skin tone and light brown, almost blonde, hair that reaches her lower back. She always wears the cutest clothes and has a cutesie personality around boys. I am practically her polar opposite. I wear simple clothes and don't mind being in the background. I have dark brown hair that reaches just above my shoulders and full bangs that reach my eyelids. I'm always wearing a beanie or a hat, it makes me feel secure. I get shy around new people so for some reason in hell, I become cocky and confrontational, and in order for me to be pretty, I have to use makeup. I use liquid concealer and then some powder, and mascara and eye liner every day. "How're you doing?" Bernadette asks as she grins at me.
"I'm okay." I nod with a small smile.
"You sure?" She asks and my smile falters but I nod and look at my lap, taking a deep breath.
"I still miss him." I mumble as the bus pulls up to school, all the upperclassmen looking at the buses in amusement. The doors open and we're the first ones off. I was making my way into school when Bernadette grabs my wrist and pulls me towards the parking lot. I chuckle as she beams straight for her brother who no longer gives us rides to school because his girlfriend doesn't like us. "Jack!!" She shouts and he looks over to us, arm slung over his girlfriend's shoulders, they're both seniors. "Hey Xanthia." He smirks to me, ignoring his sister. My eyes flicker to his glaring girlfriend and I smile shortly and lift my arm in a small wave, sticking my hands back in my pockets.
"Did you grab my lunch money too? It wasn't on the counter." Bernadette demands, holding out her hand. He sighs and goes in his pocket, grabbing two gives but handing her one.
"What're you guys doing after school today?" Jack asks, looking to me and then Bernadette.
"It's an only seniors trip Babe." Jack's girlfriend giggles but he doesn't listen, making his friends snicker.
"Going home." Bernadette scoffs.
"Ah, I'm heading to Port Angeles." I correct. "Really?" Bernadette asks and I shoot her a look, she immediately snaps into a cute giggle and I roll my eyes, looking back to Jack.
"Need a ride?" He asks.
"Oh, so you give my friend rides and not your own sister?" Bernadette asks with a fake smile.
"Oh course. I have to deal with you all the time, why would I want you in my car." Jack smirks, knowing she won't break character in school so she just grits her teeth, I smirk to the ground.
"I'm sure she can get there herself-"
"Yeah, it's fine, I don't want to keep you from whatever." I cut in, making his girlfriend smile curtly.
"Oh it's fine, I don't mind." He says.
"Just take it, then you won't have to pay bus fair." Bernadette nudges me, so I look to the girlfriend who glares to me. "Here, let me see your schedule." Jack says, walking away from his girlfriend and over to me. I fumble as I pull it from my back pocket and he looks it over. "Last period Science. Great, I'll pick you up after and I'll take wherever you need to go." He says and I nod. "Thanks Jack." I say and he grins, messing up my beanie and hair, making me narrow my eyes at him. He chuckles and I can feel his girlfriend glaring at me. "I'm going to class." I tell Bernadette who's flirting with one of Jack's friends, and I make my way into the building, going to the bathroom. I set my bag on the counter and take out my comb and set my hat down. I comb my straightened hair and fix my hat, my silver hoop earrings looking pretty cool against my dark hair. I put some Chapstick on before putting my comb away and slinging my bag over my shoulder, making my way to first period French.

- Last Period
I pack up my things as the bell rings and I look over to the door as Jack walks in, earning states from my class mates. "Ready to go?" He asks me and I smirk. "Are you?" I shoot back, cursing my nervousness. He chuckles and walks over, grabbing my backpack from me. "Alright Hot Shot." He smiles and I shoot him a look, earning another chuckle. We walk out and down the hall when his girlfriend bounces up scoffing. "Are you really making my boyfriend carry your shit. Kids these days have no respect. Right babe?" You're like a year older than me chick, sit the hell down. "I offered Chrissy, calm down. What is with you today?" Jack shoots to her. "Can I talk to you please? In privet?" She says, shooting me a glare and earning a sigh from Jack who nods. "Here, you can go start the car." He says, handing me his keys. I nod and take my bag from him, walking away. I hadn't gotten ten steps when a huge guy plows into me, trapping me in a headlock. "The hell!?" I shout and look over to see Jack's friend, his other friend laughing. The first let's go and they grin at me.
"So, has Chrissy tried killing you yet?" He asks and the other snickers as I grumble. "She's paranoid and reminds me of a person who's on helium." This earns a laugh from them as I hide my blush and we walk into the air and over to Jack's car. "Where is Jack by the way. He's giving you a ride right?" The second asks and I nod, throwing my thumb over my shoulder.
"Chrissy wanted to talk in privet so he gave me the keys." I sigh and the two of them snicker.
"I'll bet you twenty bucks he's getting laid." The first grins.
"Nah, definitely head." The second says and I snort with a smirk, throwing my bag into the passenger seat.
"What, got something to say Sophomore?" The second smirks.
"I'll bet you thirty that he's gonna walk out single." I wager and they raise their eyebrows as I hop onto the hood of Jack's car. "Deal." They grin, thinking they're both getting thirty bucks. I listen to them talking about football for about ten minutes before I spot Jack walking out without Chrissy.
"Here comes the man of the hour." I smirk and we wait as he saunters up.
"So man, what was it." The first wiggles his eyebrows and Jack chuckles, shoving him. "Broke up with her." He says and I fist pump as the two of them slump. "Pay up boys." I grin.
"What, you guys made a bet?" Jack asks as the two guys grumble and hand me thirty dollars each.
"They thought you were getting lucky." I smirk, leaning back so I can shove the money in my pocket.
"And you just knew that we were breaking up?" Jack raises an eyebrow as I jump down and walk around the car to the passenger side. "Well, you are my best friend's brother." I smirk before hopping in.