You Sure About That?

So, where are we going?" Jack asks as I turn on the radio and switch to my favorite station. "The book store." I reply and he chuckles. "What?" I ask, looking over to him.
"Nothing, just other girls would go to a clothing store or something." He shrugs, glancing to me before we stop at a red light and I scoff.
"You trying to say something?" I shoot and he grins, driving away as the light turns green. "Nah. I'm just saying... It's a nice change." He nods and I hum as he pulls up in front of the book store. I jump out and watch as he shuts the car off and comes in with me. "Hello." I greet the clerk who nods to me. I walk to the back, looking through the titles of the books. "So, why'd you ask about what I'm doing after school." I ask, reaching for one of the books.
"The guys and I are meeting up at the restaurant down the street. You should come." He says and I raise an eyebrow to him, snorting. "Me? No." I shake my head no, stretching for a book but only touching it with a finger.
"Come on, you're already here. I'll pay for you." He says and grabs the book for me, handing it to me. "Thanks." I nod and walk around to the next isle.
"What do you say Xanthia." He says and I turn to look at him. Mom won't be home when I get there, and I'd have to wait for the bus. There's probably no food at home...
"You'll drive me home afterwards?" I double check and he chuckles.
"Of course." He nods and I hum, grabbing the last book I want. "Fine." I agree and he grins before I walk to the counter and pay for my books. We walk out and I jump in the car again.
"Xanthia?" Jack asks as I set the books down and buckle up. "Yeah?" I ask.
"How's your mom?" He asks tenderly and I clench my jaw, forcing a smile.
"Fine. She's better now." I wave off.
"Really?" He asks.
"Oh yeah!" I chuckle and throw him a smile, which he believes. We park behind the restaurant and jump out. I fix my clothes and follow him to the front of the restaurant. He opens the door for me and I walk in, looking around for a rowdy group of jocks. Ah, found them. "Hello, is it just the two of you tonight?" The waitress asks.
"No, we're with Fork's Football." Jack speaks for us and I smirk at the lady's minute reaction. "Of course, right this way please." She smiles and leads us to the group. They put four tables together and there were only two empty seats left, one across from the other. I sat with my back to the window so I could see the room and Jack sat in front of me. "Sup man!! Already got yourself a new girlfriend?" The noisy guy next to him winks, already stuffing his face. I sneer to him as Jack just chuckles and sits down.
"What can I get you two." The waitress forces a smile and I look around at all of the jocks. "Annoying aren't they?" I smirk to her and she seems to relax a bit. "Just count your blessings, you don't have to see them every day." I add. "Ouch, Sophomore!" The guy next to me chuckles.
"Oh so now you hate me?" Jack asks with a smirk as I flip through the menu.
"Well I never said I liked you." I shoot back and now the guys were completely enthralled in our banter.
"Then why'd you agree to get in my car." He smirks and I smirk right back.
"Free ride."
"Then why are you here."
"Free food." I grin and the guys all laugh, even the waitress. I order a burger and waffle fries with a chocolate milkshake and Jack orders two pasta plates, a water, a soda, and mozzarella sticks. I chuckle a bit when my phone rings and I take it out of my pocket, answering it. "Hello?" I smile into it.
"Where the hell are you." My mother's slurred voice slugs through the phone.
"Hello?" I say again, pretending like there's no one on the line.
"Are you ignoring me?" Mother starts to scream. "Whoever it is., I'm hanging up now." I sigh into it before turning it off and shoving it in my pocket.
"Who was it?" Jack asks and I shrug, our food getting to the table.
"Prank probably." I say and he nods a little before we dig in.