-Fourteen-

TW: nothing really, but please be careful as I don't know everyone's triggers <3

I woke up coughing. 

I sat upright as my lungs burned. 

"Freya, gods, be careful!" a voice shouted. I couldn't respond or even acknowledge who it was before another violent fit took over the silence. 

I drew in a deep breath, trying to even out my breaths. My throat was dry and I could feel the shakiness in my bones. 

What was happening? 

"Here, water," a voice said warmly, coaxing a cup into my hand. I slowly took the cup and downed the cup greedily. 

I met the person's eyes. 

It was Puffy. 

What was she doing here?

I set the cup onto the nightstand, exhaling with exhaustion. 

"How are you feeling?" she asked gently. I opened my eyes and pushed a strand of hair from my forehead. 

"I... I do not know if I'm able to explain it," I faltered, my voice hoarse and a little raspy. Puffy nodded understandingly. 

"Do you mind if I sit down?" she asked me. I nodded. She tentatively sat on my bed by my legs. "You had quite the eventful day," she remarked, her lips playing at a smile. She kept her eyes on me. I normally would've felt threatened, but Puffy radiated a motherly, soft demeanor. 

"Where is Ranboo?" I asked. Then, my eyes widened. 

My mask. My cloak. 

My hand went to my face. Puffy frowned, then she quickly got up and picked something up from the dresser. 

She handed me my mask and Cloak. I quickly slipped on the cloak and put my mask on. 

Puffy pursed her lips.

"Why do you wear a mask?" she asked, tilting her head. 

I bit the inside of my cheek. 

"It gives me comfort, knowing that only a few people know what I look like here and that nobody from Phil's kingdom will recognize me," I admit. Puffy looked at me, her face accusing. 

I felt confused. Had I said something wrong?

"You don't have to wear a mask now, I already know what you look like" she states, as matter of fact. I looked at her with a frown. "Would it be so bad? To see people that you once called family again?" she questioned. 

"I ran away, I could not even bring myself to say goodbye" I replied. Puffy looked at me with eyes that held much knowledge. 

"Your bravery has nothing to do with it, did you not do it because it would hurt less?" she asked. Her eyes fixed on me, searching my face. 

"Of course, I mean.... does that not make me selfish?" I wondered out loud. Puffy gave me a sad smile. She looked old beyond her years. 

"My dear, sometimes... sometimes the selfish thing to do.... is the right thing" she replied wistfully. "You must've known it would hurt less for you and your family at Gaminyth if you left without saying goodbye" she stated. I gave her a slow nod. 

"I do wonder some nights, what would have become of me if I hadn't agreed to stay" I mused. Puffy laughed lightheartedly. 

"We wouldn't be having this talk and you wouldn't have received some much-needed advice," she answered. 

I drew myself up. 

"Dream told me that you raised him as a child" I started. Puffy nodded. "What was he like?" I asked. Puffy shrugged.