Edge of Your Seat

I stared at my phone with wide eyes and half a mind to toss it out the window. As soon as I hit send, dread filled what was left of my sober mind. The alcohol in my stomach swirled into a whirlpool of anxiety and all I could do was stare.

"I can't believe you actually did it," Jade laughed as she poured herself another glass of wine. The girls stared at me in awe of my supreme stupidity.

God, I should know better than to listen to them by now.

I sucked in a shaky breath, "Now it's your turn."

Kitty shook her head and frowned, "No way, never." Over my dead body was written all over her stern expression.

"Come on," Sarah whined, "You need a date to the wedding anyways. Use that as an excuse." She batted her eyes and even I was convinced.

"If you don't, I will." Jade pulled her thick black hair into a ponytail. It was obvious that she had had more than enough to drink to make regrettable decisions.

Apparently, so did I.

Just as I was considering dying my hair and moving to Guam, my phone buzzed. The somersaults in my stomach threatened to force my lunch into making a surprise appearance on Kitty's rug.

I needed to distract myself; fast.

"So," I placed my phone on the sofa and refused to look at the new, daunting, notification, "What are you going to do after the honeymoon?"

Sarah shrugged, "Not really sure. Kitty and I talked about me taking over the books but I'm painfully stupid when it comes to numbers."

Kitty chuckled, "Hey, you said it, not me."

Sarah rolled her glittering eyes, "I guess I may be in the market for a new job. Is Ethan hiring?"

The snickering forced a smile onto my face.

"I wouldn't know," I ran my fingers through my tangled hair, "I quit."

"What?" Kitty shifted to the edge of her seat.

Jade stared at me with wide eyes, "Why didn't you tell us?"

I sucked in a deep breath, "I guess, I just wasn't ready to. I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do with my life." I'm still not. It was like high school graduation all over again.

Except, I didn't have braces anymore.

The girls went silent; never a good sign. I pretended that the humming of the refrigerator was fascinating and focused on that instead of their unwavering attention.

Sarah raised her eyebrows, "So we're both in the job market then."

I tipped my glass towards her, "I suppose." One problem at a time.

Kitty's gaze sharpened, "So, Ethan is out of the picture?"

"Yeah," I sighed in relief, "I never should have crossed that line anyways. I just wanted to stop hurting."

The girls exchanged a look; one I knew all too well.

"Come on, it's not like Jason and I have a chance." All we ever do is fuck.

"No, of course not," Jade snickered, "You've just been dancing around the possibility of a relationship for years for no absolutely no reason."

I bit my tongue.

Sarah sighed and pulled out her phone; the obnoxiously pink case only added to my adoration of her. She never stopped being who she wanted to be.

"Fine, here goes nothing." Sarah tapped on the screen several times before spelling out what she was typing. "Honey," She said in a sickly sweet southern accent, "I know it will only be a few days now before I find out on my own, but I can't help but wonder," Oh shit. "how big is that cock of yours?"

My jaw hit the floor while Kitty threw herself into the nearby throw pillows. Her groans of protest fell on deaf ears. I could hear muffled cries about having "too much information" and how "he's her cousin".

Sarah straightened her posture and placed her hands in her lap; ironically, she looked like a lady. And a drunk one at that. "Now we wait."

"And you?" Jade turned her attention to a blushing Kitty.

"This is peer pressure," Kitty narrowed her eyes.

Jade leaned back on the couch, "Of the best kind,"

Kitty still appeared unconvinced and possibly in the process of planning our untimely deaths.

"Seriously? Even I did it." Despite my extreme reservations.

Kitty glared at us but after five solid minutes of silence, she couldn't keep up the act, "Okay, whatever." She snatched her phone off the side table and aggressively typed out a message.

"Whatcha sayin'," Jade teased.

"I'm telling him that I would be honored if he escorted me to the wedding."

Sarah laughed, a maniacal laugh, "Tell him you want to suck his dick,"

Kitty's head snapped in Sarah's direction, "You don't just say that to a man."

"Liar," Jade threw a pillow at her; she dodged it with little time to spare. A crash followed and I was pretty sure Kitty was down a crystal vase. "If Tara can dom Jason then you can send a sext."

Kitty frowned, "I know how to sext."

"Then do it." I challenged her without thinking of the consequences. She worked with him for god sake.

"Fine." A smile tugged on her tight lips, "Twist my arm."

I made eye contact with a shocked version of the Sarah I knew and loved. Was she just using us as an excuse?

Before we could stop ourselves, a fit of giggles spread through the room. Even Kitty was holding her side by the time she finished crafting her presumptuous text.

I brushed tears away from my eyes and instinctively grabbed my phone. Maybe it was time to face my fears.

"Oh my God," Sarah squealed, "He responded."

"So did Adam," Kitty tossed her phone; it landed next to me on the couch and grazed my thigh.

I threw it back and hit the cushion beside her, "That's no reason to launch your iPhone," I laughed as if I didn't consider doing the same thing moments after I sent the message.

"It's a nervous reflex," She rolled her eyes at her own girlish behavior, "Did Jason respond?"

"I think so," I fidgetted with my phone and tried to decide if I wanted to know his response.

"Alright," Sarah cleared her throat, "On three."

We nodded.

"One,"

Jade finished off another bottle of wine.

"Two,"

I swallowed my growing nerves and turned my phone over.

"Three," Sarah clicked on her phone screen and Kitty followed her lead; their grins said it all.

I sucked in a deep breath a glanced down; what the fu-

***Long time no see, sorry babes. I promise this is the beginning of not only consistent updates but the conclusion of Her Toy.

That's right if you've stuck around this long, just wait.

It is rather bittersweet, as most conclusions are. So, I will be adding to the Pink Cherry universe.

As soon as Her Toy concludes, The Fear of Falling will launch.

If you're not ready to say goodbye either, make sure you add it to your library.

(Oh, and, it may just be filthier than this series. If you freaks are into that ;) )

See you soon, babes.