O Holy Night

After Jason disappeared with his Angel, I was given the responsibility of hanging the Christmas lights around the railing of the choir loft.

I forced myself to complete the task before Kitty's mom could come back and tell me to pick up the pace.

I wiped away my sweat with my sleeves and fought the urge to take off my shirt. I figured that Kitty's mom wouldn't be too happy about a naked girl in the place she sang every Sunday.

Kitty climbed up the stairs as I grumbled about my miserable life.

"Time to suit up," Kitty tossed me my costume and I nearly passed out from just touching the wool.

"Isn't there something more," I looked at the light blue sheet in my hands, "Breathable?"

Kitty laughed, "Not unless you want to make your big debut in your birthday suit."

I tilted my head as I considered the idea which only made Kitty laugh more.

"Just put it on and be ready in five minutes."

"I don't even know my lines."

"You don't have any."

I was both relieved and offended. The feeling brought me back to middle school when Greg Ames said I wasn't his type.

I slung the drab curtain over my shoulder, "Anything else?"

"Yeah," Kitty patted me on the shoulder, "If you're planning on killing Jason wait until we're out of the church."

I clicked my tongue, "I don't think I can promise that."

"Tara," She said in the same tone of voice as my mother when I used to try and sneak cookie batter out of the bowl.

"She's nineteen. She's practically a toddler."

Kitty snickered, "He'll get bored of babysitting soon. Just stay cool."

Stay cool she said as I burned alive.

Kitty pointed me to the bathroom and left me to get dressed in the official garb of a virgin. I stared at myself in the mirror with the tablecloth hanging over me in one big shapeless blob. I definitely looked the part.

I splashed some water on my face and remembered what Kitty said about staying cool, calm, and unhostile. I could pull off a short play and make it back to their house.

I pumped myself up and left the confines of the bathroom only to be bombarded by Kitty's mom.

She stared at me, "Oh good, I thought I was going to need to add some blush to make you look like you gave birth but I see that Kitty had that covered."

I managed a weak smile, "Yeah, I'm all set."

"Fantastic!" She threw up her hands, "Go take your place on stage. The curtain rises in ten!" That would be impossible since the curtain was currently draped around me.

I watched their mom frantically gather the angels together. Except one was missing.

The stage was overly crowded with ceramic animals and hay scattered over the ground. I took a wild guess and found a place to sit by the manger.

Kitty finally joined me in the last few minutes before the play started. She had a fake beard and a pointy hat. She looked more like a wizard than a wise man.

"Don't laugh," She shoved me.

I couldn't help myself, "You can't push me. I'm pregnant."

"With a food baby maybe." I feigned shock.