Sides

Annie led the way to the crowded bar; her silhouette moved in effortless strides that I couldn't help but admire. When we pushed our way to the front, she glanced at me, "What do you want? I'm buying."

"A rum and coke is fine." I spit out the first drink that popped into my mind. Having a girls' night out with Jason's ex was never on my to-do list, but there I was, with post-sex hair and a million unaskable questions.

The stud-covered dominatrix in front of me repeated the order to an entranced bartender. "-and a Red Headed Slut."

"Anything for you, darlin'." A soft southern twang coated the bartender's voice as he met Annie's eyes. I glanced between them, taking in the tension and attempting to ignore it.

Before I could turn away, Annie beat me to it and started gliding towards the faded wood tables across the room. I followed despite the hesitation forming in the pit of my stomach. I wondered how Jason would react if he heard about our chat.

One foot after the other. I shrugged off the hesitation clambering up my spine and took a seat in front of the alluring dominatrix as she pulled her long hair into a high ponytail.

I shifted in my chair and tried to avoid direct eye contact, but her magnetic gaze made that increasingly difficult. After a few uncomfortable moments passed, Annie cleared her throat.

"Look, I know this is weird, but I'm still close to Kitty, and I don't want there to be resentment between us."

My foot tapped against the dark tile floor while I struggled to respond. Why did I start this? "I don't resent you," I frowned at the thought, "I've just heard conflicting sides to the same story."

"So, what do you want from me?" There was a twinge of pain in her voice. Her bold facade dropped for a split second and regret filled my throat.

"Your side."

Annie paused; Her furrowed eyebrows and stern expression lifted when the southern bartender appeared beside our table. He gingerly set down our drinks with a charming gleam in his pale eyes.

"I love it when you serve me, Jesse."

The raven-haired Jesse rolled his eyes with a grin rapidly overtaking his tan face, "Don't get used to it." He strolled away before she could sling a witty response his way.

Annie's understandably flushed face remained fixed on Jesse's departure. She watched him walk away for a moment too long before remembering. "Jason and I dated our Sophomore year of college."

I nodded, "I know that much."

"Right," Annie took a sip of her drink, savoring Jesse's handiwork no doubt, "Well, we broke up because Ethan convinced me that Jason was cheating."

"And you believed him?"

"There was some pretty damming evidence."

I remembered Wendy and Jason's tango from hell. "Why would he do that?"

Annie shrugged, "We were young, and I always figured that he just didn't want to see anyone else happy." The regret in her eyes told me that they were happy. Maybe happier than we could ever be.

"But you figured it out?"

Annie frowned, "It didn't matter. After Ethan got into my head, our whole relationship spiraled." The stage lights flickered to our left, but while I turned to catch a glimpse of the erotic events beginning just feet away, Annie remained focused. "We broke up before I figured out what happened."

I nodded, attempting to look solemn, and took a large sip of my drink. The bitter taste smoothed the edges of nerves but heightened the curiosity pooling into my mind.