7. SELF-UNDERSTANDING

Responsibilities are funny actually, super funny. Responsibilities are said to be your own job, your own weight, your own thing to do, and whatever happens, it's not anyone else's business. But then there's some people who ask for help, it's as if they neglect responsibilities although they don't really neglect, they simply ask for help. The only responsibility you have and own and have control over is yourself, or is it?

Jayce looked down, figuring out what to say next. His hand was still on her ear after tucking the strand of hair. She backed away as he raised a brow, her heart beating like crazy, not knowing if it was from how she would answer the question or if it was how close he and she were.

"Like you said, there's always an answer to a question," he said casually, tucking his hands into his pockets, "So?"

"Same reason goes to you, answer my question too," she replied back, finally looking at him, flustering again.

He stared at her in mischief, flustering as well. The two stared at each other, waiting for an answer from one side when a voice broke in.

"Ash? Jayce?" Jaxon called them, "Why are you both here?" he asked.

Jasmine walked down the poarch and saw the two, she bit her lip.

The two broke eye contact and went to reply to Jaxon.

"Nothing," Jayce replied, "I was just talking to Ashton about why he didn't join the student council discussion today," she said.

"Oh so this is what you meant by your little gang and theirs were close," Jasmine said to Jaxon. The two boys froze and winced, they could be blown away.

"What?" Jayce furrowed.

Jaxon gave his sister a look to stop talking, Jasmine couldn't read expressions well. Ashton's fists clenched.

"You and Ashton dating?" Jasmine raised a brow, "Come on, we both know you're not totally gay,"

Jayce just raised her brow at her.

"I heard Amber and Eric are dating,"

"Or that she's dumb enough to believe him," Jayce said.

Jaxon and Ashton looked at each other.

"Jayce, let's discuss whatever student council thing now," Ashton interrupted, taking her by the two shoulders and pushing her towards the gates.

"Why all of a sudden?" she asked, furrowing.

"It's important, right?" he raised a brow as Jaxon went to Jasmine, showing her his phone which was probably on how much he loved the trio.

"You never sort out your priorities so I'm surprised you found out what's important and not," Jayce stood up properly and walked by herself, "Congrats, Vice President,"

Ashton gave a smile, a true one, a non-wicked one. It felt like the first congrats, and it was from. someone other than the school or organizations or competitions, it was from a person he was seeing. A compliment. A compliment from Jayce Brooks made him smile.

~~~

Eric went to the fridge and took out a can of soda, thinking it would relieve him from his stress when Amber called him. He sighed at the name on the screen, knowing the trick he was pulling on her was going way too far.

He picked up the call, "Hey Ams,"

"Hey!" she exclaimed on the phone, he flinched, "You good? You haven't replied to my texts,"

"I'm fine," Eric replied, going to sit on the couch.

"Oh," Amber said, "You want to have a movie night with me?"