8. SELF-CONTROL

Intelligence comes from many things, yet some people who aren't good in academics are called stupid. Some others would think that they would only be intelligent if they are good in academics, but some people would only be good in academics if they were intelligent.

Jayce looked at the CCTV footage clearly, she knew who that person was. Dave knew as well.

She couldn't say anymore words and she walked out of the police department with a heavy heart.

"Jayce, I don't know what you're going to use this information for but-"

"Deja vu, isn't it, dad?" she immediately said.

"Jayce," Dave put a straight face, "Don't you dare bring the past up just because of-"

"I hate cheaters in a relationship," she said and walked away, "I wouldn't give a damn on what had happened, she still came to the bar, married, and had the thought of getting drunk as well,"

"Not everyone was like your mother, Jayce," Dave said immediately, "I was also to blame, you don't have to take it all on your mother."

Jayce stopped walking and turned around, "Why? Because Kimberly was forced to marry Mikael and you and mom loved each other once?"

"Jayce Brooks," Dave yelled, "You need to stop acting like you're the only one impacted by her doings in her family, think about me, think about Amber," he said.

Jayce clenched her jaw, "You're scared I'd end up like mom, won't you?"

Dave stayed silent.

"I remind you of her when she was in high school, right?" she asked, "I look like her, talk like her, sound like her, and even had the same dreams as her,"

"Jayce, that's not-"

"I've been busy my whole life trying to escape from that," she said, "The only difference between me and her, is that I won't be a failure." She ignored the rest of her father's words and walked away, hopping on her bike and going away.

Dave sighed, he loved his daughters truly. But he wasn't so sure if he loved them equally.

While Jayce, she loved her dad truly, but she stopped loving her mom years ago, at least she thought so.

With a painful drop of the crooked thing she has always held behind, something that was called a tear, dropped. And she had known about the fact that she played numb for years and years, until she thought of the guilt she had when she hated the truth. She resented it. As a child, she understood nothing, but now that it was a memory flashback and she thought about it deeply, she finally understood everything that came to her mind.

That baby she resented who wasn't even born yet. If that baby was actually born, that baby would have had the same circumstance as Ashton. And even if it was born, Jayce damn knew that baby had no fault.

~~~

Brooks family, a history...

Nadia Brooks met Dave Brooks when they were in highschool, both known as the ultimate competitors. Nadia excelled greatly in literature, and Dave excelled greatly in the sciences, but Nadia wanted to go to med school and Dave wanted to go to police academy. They would continuously be switching first and second place, as if they were the only ones in that school.

Then someday, it hit them, they started to like each other, they understood each other, they felt comfort in each other. Dave did his school work for fun, to achieve his dreams of becoming a great detective, while Nadia had her father's pressure on her back, always talking crap about her.