25. SELF-LOSS

They say opposites attract, like the North and South poles of magnets. So what happens when light and dark are attracted to each other? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

The woman, Anita, held her breath, her hand lifting up beside her, about to strike Jayce. She held it back, gripping at her wrist and pushing her against the couch. She grunted in annoyance, glaring back at Jayce as if her eyeballs were going to pop out.

"Hey!" Milton yelled from behind.

"I've grown sick of your family," Jayce finally said, "And to be honest, if you guys weren't rich, you'd just be trash,"

She stood up properly, placing her phone back in her pocket and walking towards the door.

"We'll fund your school again, just delete the message and tell it was a false alarm," Kiara immediately said, under pressure.

"No thanks," Jayce replied.

"And what are you going to do? You can't find another funder if it weren't for us," Anita responded.

"We're holding a show for the rich people, hoping we can persuade them to fund our school," she explained.

"And you think someone's going to say yes?" Leo scoffed.

"If no one is going to say yes, then we go to plan B: Izzie Brooks," Jayce said.

"Your mother?" they scoffed, "That fashion designer?"

"To be honest, my dad came from a long line of police officers, and he's rich. My mother came from a long line of doctors, and with that, they're also rich. My stepmother has a multi-million dollar net-worth, and we don't commit crimes. Not as often as you do," she replied, "In short, my family is richer, both literally and metaphorically speaking,"

"Then why don't you just ask your family to fund the school? Since you're so rich," Milton sneered.

"The most important lesson I've learned is that when you have trouble, the first person you seek for isn't family, it's the person who caused it," Jayce replied, turning back to the door, about to walk out.

"Is that it?" Howard scolded, "You're not even going to say anything?"

"The annoyance you're feeling right now," Jayce started, turning around to see them as her hand was on the door handle, "It's the exact same one I'm feeling. One is to one, old man," she gave them a goodbye wink and walked out the door.

She unlocked the gate from the inside, and pulled it open, and there was no need for her to climb again anymore. She went back inside the taxi.

"Two more stops, sir," Jayce said to the driver, "Let's go to the market first, then to the woods near town hall,"

~~~

'omw to the house' she texted Ashton, already on her way to the house from the market, after buying some things.

'kk, im already here, see u :)'

It felt like quite a burden, lying with the emoticons he would send. Ashton knew that he had no right to do this, and once they ended the relationship, and when he would find all the proof for the killer and prove her wrong, the only thing that was left was guilt and shame.

He was standing in front of the house, as he didn't duplicate a key. After all, it wasn't his house, it was Jayce, and it was her right to do anything.

"Why didn't you go in?" a girl asked.

He turned around, seeing Jayce, with the taxi that was just leaving behind her, "I don't have a spare key,"

"I thought you made one," she replied, walking over to him with a plastic bag in her hand.