13. SELF-DOUBT

Feelings don't lack people, people lack feelings. It's either they're too selfish and arrogant enough to do so, or scientifically and psychologically explained on why they are so. But it's just feelings? If you can't feel feelings, isn't it better?

Jayce knitted her brows, "What?"

"You think you're the only one having a bad life?" Amber said, "Apparently, mom only held you in for around two weeks, some cases have more weeks and you're acting as if the world did something horrible to you and you deserve the best,"

"I never said my pain was larger than anyone else's, it affects me in my own way," Jayce said, "What is your point in saying this?"

"Don't fool me anymore Jayce," Amber stood up, "You did this to make sure people will pity you and you get attention and everything, and you get your little circle back, right?"

"I don't need people to pity me, it sounds pathetic," she said.

"And it's also pathetic to hide everything from your sister, right?"

"I'm sorry, but I did it for your own good, so you don't have any burden on anything. Because I'm your freaking sister," Jayce stated, in a huge tone.

"I don't want to argue," Amber said, "You are obviously always correct," she looked back to her mirror and continued placing her makeup.

There was no use in arguing Amber. She never felt the need of herself to be wronged.

~~~

"Ashton there will be no use in lying and avoiding this," Dave said, "You need to tell the truth,"

Jayce, he thought, Jayce, Jayce, Jayce. The need to kill her, it was too large, but then he thought again. Guilt, guilt, guilt. One he has never imagined, one he has never been through.

"Your daughter has most of the truth," Ashton replied.

"I can tell you both aren't on good terms," he concluded.

"We were never in good terms,"

"Look," Dave started, "I know it isn't easy, confessing the crimes of someone who raised you," he said, "And I know I shouldn't be talking to you like this but I'll tell you what I think,"

Ashton raised a brow.

"I've felt this, although the conditions weren't really the same, but nearly," Dave started, "Nadia, you see, and maybe you've heard as well, was the love of my life. She is still," he said truthfully, making Ashton furrow, "When I came home and saw the house like a mess, and I saw Jayce covered in bruises that was covered with makeup, I didn't know what to do. In one hand, I wanted to escape from the truth, but in the other hand, my daughter was hurt,"

Pity. Ashton felt. But Jayce didn't want pity, she wanted understanding, and they were different in many ways.

"When I reported her in, Jayce was just like you right now. She fought back, said that her mother was wrong but it didn't have to go this far," he said.

Ashton pursed his lips in return, imagining what she had gone through.

"Jayce loved her mother very much. I could say that Nadia loved Jayce more than Amber," Dave said, "And she looked and acted like her in her teenage years,"

Ashton continued to glance down.

Dave took out his phone and went to his photo gallery, "This," he said, showing a picture of a woman and a toddler, "That's her and Jayce,"

His eyes lightened up. They were so similar. Eyes, freckles, smile. Eyes, freckles, smile. It was all Nadia's. All that he had seen on the first day they met.