Ripped

"Alex Anderson, come into the office" Josephine said, staring at me. I glanced at Deja worriedly as I approached Josephine.

I entered the office was greeted by two smiling faces.

"Alex, we would like to foster you or adopt you, which ever you would be comfortable with" The woman stated with a warm smile. These people seemed nice.
"If it's too much of a shock, we can bring you to our house, show you what a normal day would look like and then you can make your decision" The man said with a happy tone.

"The second one" I announced, wanting to see what their house looked like. They both smiled happily before standing up.
"You'll be back tomorrow at 6pm, and then they can decide if they want to foster you" Josephine smiled falsely as I left the room.

"Deja, look after Avery for me, I'll be back tomorrow" I nodded determined.

*****

Their house was big and luxurious, they had an outside pool to swim in and a huge tv in their living room.

I looked around as I stared at the gaming console on the floor. I used to love playing with mine but Avery broke it when he spilled water on it. I guess I'm not mad about it anymore, he was only five at the time.

"Do you want to have a game of something?" Carl asked curiously. They had finally told me their names on the car ride over. I nodded, making no noise.
"Let's go then" He smiled, switching on the huge tv.
"Dinner will be ready soon so don't get into the game, I'm more speaking to Carl" She gave him a glare as he reassured her.

About thirty minutes had passed and I was trying to defeat Carl in the video game when we were called for dinner.

"Alright, it's time to put these down" Carl rolled his eyes as he spoke, giving me a cheeky smile. I nodded and placed the controller back where I found it. Carl and I walked into the kitchen and sat down, while we waited for their food to be placed on the table.

"Here, Alex" Eve spoke softly, handing a plate to me. My first instinct was to give it to Carl. Carl stared at me with a confused look before taking the plate and placing it in-front of me. I looked down at the plate that was filled with food and all I could think about was Avery. I felt guilty that he wasn't here with me.

"I think I'm just going to go to bed" I announced. I don't think it was Avery who had separation issues; I think it was me.

"Alex, in this house, you have to eat your dinner. It's one of the most important meals of the day" Carl announced, stuffing his mouth with food. Eve nodded in agreement as they both were now eating.

I began eating but within a few mouthfuls, I couldn't eat anymore. I was hungry but I couldn't eat it. I just stared at the food awhile, slowly taking bites.

"I tried" I muttered, pushing the plate infront of me and making my way up the stairs. My stomach couldn't seem to hold it all. I ran into the bathroom and began to throw up. Everything I tried to eat, was now gone. My eyes welled up with tears as I stared in the mirror. I was so skinny and pale; there was nothing I could about it. I had already had dinner today so maybe I pushed myself too hard.

I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted but now I can't more than one meal. I guess that was the effect of starving for so long.

I let myself sob for a moment, leaning against the wall for support. I was in a strangers home, without my own brother; yet I knew why I was here.