Thirteen

I stood up and walked over to the group of teenagers. They were the same age as myself, yet they were hanging around with my thirteen year old brother; How pathetic.

I knew they were only allowing him to hang with them because they didn't believe that an officer would check a thirteen year olds bag. They were wrong.

As I approached Avery, I could see the fear in his eyes that he tried desperately to hide. He knew that I knew.

I had always kept the unconscious fear to myself, that Avery could end up like our mother. I didn't believe my little brother could be capable of taking such a thing so young, especially knowing what it did to our mother. But maybe I was wrong for thinking he cared at all?.

I didn't even say anything to him, I just grabbed his bag.

"Avery, who the fuck is this?" His 'friends' asked, as I opened the bag.
"I'm his older brother and if I find anything in this bag that isn't his, I'll kill you all" I grumbled angrily, before taking out a tiny plastic bag with a small amount of white powder in it. I knew it was full so now I was left wondering where the rest of it went. I think I knew.

I glanced up at Avery who had a scared yet brave look on his face. I opened the bag and poured it out, onto the grass. The guys screamed as the tried to catch it, desperate for more; except Avery, who just stared at me with anger and hatred.

"Please tell me you didn't take it Avery" I pleaded yet showed no emotion.
"I've taken it more than once, it makes me feel good" He muttered, not breaking eye contact.
"Oh god" I whispered, holding my hand against my forehead. He was so young, he didn't realise the pit he had dug himself.

All I could feel was anger.

I grabbed Avery by his shirt and pulled him towards me.
"What the fuck were you thinking, that shit can kill you, you fucking idiot. How can you do that to yourself after Mom? How can you do that to me after mom?" I rambled angrily as I tried to process what my thirteen year old brother had just told me. That's when I noticed the power under his nose; it was only a small amount but it confirmed my biggest fear. My brother was now going to turn out like my mom.

I could barely stand from the shock, this is what he had been doing all this time?. He had been using this shit to cope?.

"That's it, you're coming back with me and I'm taking care of you from now onwards" I announced as I pulled him by his shirt.
"Let go of me Alex! You're not my brother anymore. I hate you, let go!" He screamed hysterically, as I dragged him across the field. His friends just watched as they held the empty bag.

"Who sells you the drugs?" I asked Avery suddenly, I wanted to kill the bastard selling kids drugs.
"And why would I tell you that dipshit?" Avery snapped with a scowl, still trying to rip his shirt from my grip.

"Tell me, or else I'll make you go cold turkey" I warned him.
"That can kill me, you can't do that" He argued but I knew the time would come eventually.
"Don't fucking test me Avery! Where did you get the drugs!" I yelled suddenly, releasing all of my anger into that once small sentence. My heart was pounding in my chest from the rage I felt.

"Leonardo" He muttered, shuffling slowly back from me.
"Leonardo who?" I asked but I already knew the answer.
"Leonardo Accardi" He admitted, finally blurting out his name. Avery watched my expression to turn to disgust and fear.

"Accardi? As in the Accardi family?" I grumbled, holding my head in my hands.
"What age is Leonardo?" I questioned with a disgusted glance, noticing Avery's friends who were waiting for him at the other side of the field.
"Sixteen I think" Avery sighed, not believing how serious this situation was.

I could feel a burning pain within my stomach but I had to ignore it for now. I hadn't eaten today, that's probably what it was.

"Shit Avery" I snapped, scowling at him harshly.
"Alex, don't do anything stupid!" He warned me.
"Now I have to go kill this Leonardo kid because of you! I'm going to be locked up for years, not to mention his family will want to murder me" I grumbled while running my hand through my hair.

"Alex, you're not being serious right?" Avery stared intensely as he waited for my response. I was very serious, I knew I wanted to kill him. I knew eventually I was going to kill him.
"Of course I'm being fucking serious Avery, you're a dumbass and now I'm going to get killed for it" I shook my head before turning around.

"Alex" Avery said with a shocked expression, his anger effortlessly melting away.
"Alex you can't be serious" He shouted as I began to walk away.
"Please Alex" Avery yelled, grabbing my arm.
"You're all I have left, you're all I've ever had!" He begged me, with tears beginning to well up in his eyes. I didn't respond, but my eyes said everything that needed to be said.

"I'll come home with you, please!" He begged, clinging to my shirt.

"Fine, I won't kill him today or tomorrow but I swear I'll kill him for doing this to you" I muttered.
"He didn't do this, I did" Avery shook his head. He was finally owning up to his mistakes. I don't know how long he's been using but he has me and I'll help until he doesn't want it any longer.

"Okay, let's go home then" I nodded slightly, giving him an expressionless glance. He walked next to me; his head reaching slightly above my shoulder.

I couldn't leave him like the way my dad left my mom.