Unlikeable Characters

Five things on what not to do when you're making characters

1) Flawless characters 

     These characters do everything perfectly with absolute no struggle at all. People can't be perfect  so it just makes these characters too good to be true, or even human even. Basically, don't make your character a Mary Sue. Or Stu- whatever it's called. 

2) Character arcs that just do the same thing over and over again

     It's like the same person tells the same joke twice. It's not funny anymore and in this case it's not interesting anymore. 

3) Unlikable and egotistical/selfish characters being unjustly rewarded 

     These characters would be rewarded for being selfish. Simple enough. 

4) The character doesn't have a character arc or refuses to change at all

     We need character development here. This is why Neville Longbottom is likeable. In my opinion. He has a character arc and everything. 

5) Number four characters get a runaway victory and get away with lots of stuff. 

     Number three but worse.

     You are going to need an unlikable character to make things interesting just PLEASE don't make it the protagonist. I have an example but a lot of people like her so please don't get offended...

     It's Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

     (Also quick side note, dupain is bread in French. I should know, we learn French in school.)

     I mean she kinda is a Mary Sue. She pretty much stalks her crush which I feel I more like lust, which is illegal. Gets away with breaking and entering. Which is illegal. Gets away with theft. WHICH IS ALSO ILLEGAL.

      Disses Chat Noir, manipulated her best friend once (or more I don't even know because I just get clips off YouTube) and pretty much went communist once. She like stole something and was accused of stealing it and said everyone in the class should also be accused. COMMUNISM *USSR anthem starts playing in the background*

      I don't even know how much more there is. And she gets away with all of these things. And that red whats it's face thing just says a couple of stuff and like doesn't even do anything. And it's says "Tales of Ladybug AND Chat Noir." Where do we get his PoV? I don't know I haven't watched this thing since like, a two years before COVID. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk on main character Mary Sues. 

     Did I really just rant at the end? Yes yes I did. 

     I'm working on another chapter and decided to write this one. Because I don't know how to phrase the other chapter.