The Nine Moral Alignments

The nine moral alignments is a three by three grid guides to how characters act and respond to situations, with lawful, neutral, and chaotic along the horizontal axis, and on the vertical axis, there's good, neutral, and evil. Authors would/should use to write and evolve characters with their own motivations and goals. The nine moral alignments were created and used for the game "Dungeons and Dragons". 

The alignments are:

Lawful Good (ex. Superman)

Neutral Good (ex. Harry Potter)

Chaotic Good (ex. Percy Jackson)

Lawful Neutral (ex. Reyna)

True Neutral (ex. Iroh)

Chaotic Neutral (ex. Captain Jack Sparrow)

Chaotic Evil (ex. Bellatrix Lestrange) 

Lawful Evil (ex. Delores Umbridge)

Neutral Evil (ex. *insert your classic villain here*)

________________________________________________________________________________

Good vs Evil

     Good characters would be generally be protecting innocent people or prevents something big from happening that could possibly change the world for the worse, while the evil kills and destroys and creates the problems for the characters on the good side of the axis. The characters being good or evil can be made a conscious decision.  

Lawful vs Chaotic

     Lawful characters would being most likely be traditional, and fully respect authority. The chaotic characters would be more free-willed, not listening to people telling them what to do and probably more open-minded to newer ideas. 

Neutral

     Neutral characters don't feel feel the need to follow every single rule, societal belief, but neither do they feel the need to rebel against everything. Neutral characters follow the rules that go with their own agenda and plans that are convenient or necessary to themselves. They won't go to the extremes of the good or evil, but depending on some loyalties, they might do some stuff, and that's it. 

________________________________________________________________________________

I got this idea from this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsL9ljbvPZM&t=300s

(SuperCarlinBrothers titled "Harry Potter and the Nine Moral Alignments | Harry Potter Theory". They sorted the Harry Potter characters into the grid)