Protagonists, Deuteragonists, Tritagonists, and Antagonists

Protagonists

They're the star of the show, most of the time the story is from their point of view (unless it's a third person). Do not go to the land of Mary Sues with this. It's very dangerous.

Protagonists are great since they can also be on the 'evil' spectrum (see the 'Nine Moral Alignments' chapter).

Not much to say here, they're very standard, and without them, there is practically no story to tell here. Unless it's non-fiction.

Deuteragonists

People would usually say 'side character' to describe maybe the protagonists friends who're constantly on their journey, but the term they may be looking for is deuteragonists.

In ancient Greek theater, they're 'the actor taking the part of second importance in a classical Greek drama'. Deuteragonists are constant companions to the protagonist, or someone who continues actively aiding a protagonist. The deuteragonist can be supporting or opposing the protagonist (they can also be the antagonist if they're constantly present in the story and play a major role. So basically, they can be the antagonist if you give them enough screen time), depending on the plot.

You also can have more than one deuteragonist, for example the main character and their trio, the two other people would be deuteragonists. Writing in their perspective occasionally, maybe when the main protagonist is making a huge decision that can change the entire world or something. You may want to make that a two part chapter since the protagonist's point of view would be important in that scenario.

Uh, in all, great for making it look like everything isn't just about the protagonist and creating a lot of things such as subplots, world building, relationships, etc.

Tritagonists

Tritagonists are characters that come after the protagonists and deuteragonists, so maybe Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter can be an example.

There can be many tritagonists, which is pretty good. Not too many, background characters that don't really have any impact on the plot is for that.

Antagonists

Antagonists oppose the protagonist, they're usually depicted as the villains, but there are heroic antagonists, such as uh, Sans during the genocide route. Yeah, I looked up heroic antagonists and he's the only one to actually come up in my search bar. It works, I guess.

So uh, that's it, I guess. I just really wanted to talk about deuteragonists, but I decided to write these ones last minute.