chapter one

There was a pony on Milo Hayes' lap.

His sister, Amelia had just gotten back from her friend's house, who, so graciously decided to lend a toy horse to her. Aside from the horse's pretty sweet rainbow mane, Milo didn't think much of it. It was pretty bland and overly squeaky, whenever the thing walked it sounded like a cat was dying an extremely painful death nearby. Milo rolled his eyes at the six-year-old playing 'horsies' in his room and stood up, slipping out of the room before Amelia noticed and forced him to stay. Until she went back to her own room, he was practically homeless. Forced to stay in the noman's land that was the living room, he decided to get comfortable with a movie.

The TV flickered to life just as his phone buzzed beside him. Noticing it was Paige, he looked at her message.

Paigey-Waigey: u busy?

'Extremely' was all Milo decided to type in response, he then sat back and opened a chocolate bar. The irony was clear.

Paigey-Waigey: cool see u in 15

He rolled his eyes and tossed his phone away. Paige knew him too well now and that fact really pissed him off. They'd been friends for way too long, and it surprised Milo that he hadn't gotten sick of her yet. She was annoying as fuck, but he loved her anyway.

"Paige is coming over," Milo yelled, to no one in particular. He didn't really need to announce it anymore, it was a weekly thing - one would go to the other's house, watch a movie, get fat and drive home. It was a ritual now. Milo took a bite of his chocolate bar, relishing as it melted in his mouth. Kit-Kats had always been his favourite - he wasn't sure why. They were just delicious. And that wafer, God, Milo wanted to make an honest woman out of that wafer.

An honest...woman?

Milo shook his head free of the thought, nobody really needed to know the Kit Kat's identity, did they? He chomped nonetheless, polishing it off in a few short bites. Milo wanted to pick a movie before Paige got there because Lord knows she'd have something to say about whatever he picked. Better to have it ready so they don't spend the entire night arguing instead.

Milo settled on a classic; Ferris Bueller's Day Off. There was no going wrong with a comedy like that, and it was near impossible not to like. After wasting five minutes trying to navigate their complicated TV system, he found it in the library. Naturally, Milo got up and started getting snacks ready. What's the point of watching a movie if you can't munch during it?

A notification popped up on his screen.

Paigey-Waigey: doors locked let me in bitch

He chuckled slightly and greeted her at the door with a yawn. Milo was tired.

She rolled her eyes and walked in, "Where's the service with a smile, Miles?"

"I don't know, Kelly, where is my service with a smile?" Milo teased, tilting his head in amusement as she grunted in annoyance. Ever since middle school, Paige hated her last name. She said it reminded her too much of 'the classic blonde bitch' that every school has at least one of. In other words, it was a 'bitchy' name. Being the superb friend that he was, Milo insisted on calling her that frequently.

It was a two-way street. Milo's full name was Miles; he hated it. Paige called him that, blah blah, blah.

"What're we watching?" She asked, taking the snacks he'd made to where they were sitting.

Milo shrugged, "Ferris Bueller."

Paige groaned, "Again? Miles Thomas Hayes, have you seen any other movie aside from this one? Like, ever? In your whole life?"