chapter nineteen

When Milo and Jamie got out of the house, the mood seemed to lift slightly. Both boys seemingly forgot about what happened back at the house and Milo couldn't help but feel a little relieved that they were back to normal. Well, as normal as they could be. It only occurred to Milo when Jamie got to his house that he might have had shit going on in his life that Milo had no idea about – clearly he was right. Milo didn't blame Jamie for wanting to keep it under wraps, they were still learning to wholeheartedly trust each other, that much was obvious by now. And there was no harm in that, if being friends with Paige taught Milo anything, it takes a hell of a lot to be able to completely trust someone.

Milo was sipping the coffee that Jamie bought him with a joyful grin, "Thanks for the coffee."

"Anytime, birthday boy."

Milo chuckled, bringing the cup to his lips once again and taking a sip, "It's really good."

Jamie smiled at him, "I'm sure."

They were sitting on a park bench, watching their surroundings and making light-hearted conversation with each other and avoiding what they both really wanted to talk about; the elephant in the room. Milo still wanted to talk about this whole 'exclusivity' deal, and there didn't seem like a better time to bring it up than now, he may as well have a coffee in his hands when he did.

Milo wasn't into commitment or putting labels on things, but he was into Jamie and his smile. Milo wanted to see Jamie smile again, especially when he was the reason.

If commitment and exclusivity are what it would take, then so be it. Milo could do it. He could do it. Right? Milo had never been in a relationship before, much less with someone he legitimately cared about and was so attracted to it hurt.

So Milo Hayes went for it.

"So, about this whole Freya-date-thing..." Milo trailed off, "and about what I said last night."

Jamie tilted his head in confusion, though Milo knew he remembered. He was only doing it to get a rise out of Milo.

"The little exclusivity comment I made?"

Jamie chuckled, "I remember."

"Uh-huh," Milo paused, "so...um...what do you think?"

"What do I think? About what?"

"Being exclusive."

Jamie furrowed his brow, "Well that depends."

"On what?"

"On how you feel about it."

Milo nodded, "Right."

A moment of silence settled between them before Jamie started speaking again. He cleared his throat, "Do you still feel the same as you did last night?"

"No." Milo said curtly, avoiding Jamie's gaze by taking another sip. It was hard to ignore the wide grin that broke out on his face, in fact, Milo found himself quickly getting entranced by it.

He laughed, "No?"

"No." Milo paused, "In all honesty, I never really felt that way at all. I just wasn't thinking. I don't know, it just slipped out."

Jamie slid closer to him, wanting to establish some physical contact but still remain inconspicuous in public. "So you don't want me seeing other people?" He asked, raising an eyebrow with a knowing smile.

Milo's heart fluttered, "...no, I really don't want you seeing other people."

"Okay," Jamie said shortly.