chapter seven

Paige invited herself over that afternoon to get ready. It occurred to Milo when he got home that he'd actually forgotten to even ask Paige to go with him to the party, which made for a funny conversation over text. He'd only asked her twenty minutes ago, and she was already at his house playing with his sister. Milo remembered how much they adored each other when Paige came over; they had a weird infatuation with each other. Amelia loved playing games with Paige, perhaps since she actually played them instead of running away like Milo did.

"Millie," Paige scolded in a deep voice, "give me all your gold."

Amelia ran out of Milo's room with her toy horse and Paige went with her, chasing her down the stairs and into the kitchen. Milo could hear them running around the space, no doubt annoying both mom and dad to death.

Paige was beloved by all members of the Hayes family. Over the years, she'd become like a second daughter to both Milo's parents. Even when they were little, they'd spend hours at each other's houses until eventually, the Kelly and Hayes family were forced to merge and become one, big, superfamily. As they grew into their teenage years, both families became concerned about how much time they were spending together. It took them two long years to realise that there was absolutely no physical attraction between the two for them to finally loosen the reigns. It had been smooth sailing since then.

With Paige out of the room, it gave Milo a chance to rummage through his closet looking for something to wear. Milo wasn't a very fashionable guy. He knew what matched and what didn't match, but his sense of style was still...a little boring. Luckily, Paige was here to help him with that. Her exact words were "we need to fix this, Chelsea is going to expect hot Milo Hayes, not...whatever this is".

Milo rolled his eyes and waited for her approval on the items he'd picked out. It was a Friday night, and though they had a party to go to, it wasn't all fun and games. Milo still had work until nine-thirty that night and his shift started in fifteen minutes.

"Paige, hurry up! I have to get going soon!" Milo called, getting his bag ready. He decided that he'd just pack a bag with his outfit and change at work before heading off. How he would get from work to Chelsea's house was still undecided.

"Fine, fine," she bounced back into the room and took one look at his selection before grimacing, "no."

Milo was already changed for work, he was just waiting for Paige to finish picking his outfit. She ended up doing a really good job. He wound up packing a pair of jeans, a loose flannel and a tight-fitting white T-shirt for underneath. It was the perfect combination of stylish and Milo Hayes.

"Great, thanks!" Milo swiped his bag from the bed and bolted out the door, "Stay as long as you want, I need to go."

"Oh, I planned to. Millie's getting her dollhouse out, I'll be here for a while."

Garden Place Theatre was absolutely packed with people. Milo had been non-stop greeting people and clipping their tickets since he walked through the door for his shift. So much so that his hand started to ache. It was to be expected from a Saturday night. Even though movie theatres were slowly going out of fashion, it still drummed up quite a crowd, especially when a good movie like Deadpool was on. Milo suspected that's why there were so many people around because they had decided to feature a Deadpool Marathon tonight, all three movies, all in the same spot. It definitely explained the rush of people at five-thirty.

Kendall wasn't on tonight, meaning Milo was practically alone. The other girl working tonight was not Milo's cup of tea. Her name was Carly. Milo and Carly never really clicked. From the get-go, it was easy to see that they'd never be more than acquaintances. According to Kendall, none of the staff clicked with Carly aside from Chris, the general manager of the place.