chapter twenty-two

The next morning, Milo woke up with a heavy weight crushing his body from behind. It took him a moment, perhaps longer than it should have, to figure out that he wasn't in his own bed or his own room. After stirring and stretching, Milo squinted and peered around at his surroundings, a warm feeling of satisfaction settling inside him when he remembered where he was and who was sleeping next to him. His gaze dropped to his waist, where Jamie's arm was holding Milo tightly in place, restricting his movements.

Milo didn't mind in the slightest, in fact, he rather enjoyed having the boy's arm dangling loosely around him while he slept. Their hands were clasped together clumsily, and Milo lifted his hand, inevitably bringing Jamie's along with it, to press a kiss to his boyfriend's hand. Milo could feel Jamie's steady breathing, the gentle rise and fall of his chest, accompanied by the timely gusts of air that blew onto the back of his neck was a deliriously joyful reminder that they'd spent the night together, sleeping in his bed. God, everything around him smelt like Jamie. The clothes that Milo borrowed, his sheets, his pillows, him. Milo felt about ready to die peacefully, here, in absolute serenity. As if the morning couldn't get any more cliché, Milo could hear birds chirping outside of Jamie's window. Milo noticed a pack of mentos beside Jamie's bed and wasted no time in popping one in, they weren't quite ready for the bad morning breath stage yet. Milo smiled as the refreshing flavour hit his tongue and awoke his senses.

Milo's skin pricked when he felt Jamie's hold on him tighten for a moment, before it loosened again. Jamie stirred behind him, stretching his arms and legs as if he were alone in the bed. He wondered if he knew Milo was here at all. His question was answered when he felt a pair of familiar fingertips graze his skin, winding their way up to play with his curls. Jamie, unaware that Milo was awake, leaned in and buried his head in the crook of Milo's neck, peppering kisses down his collarbone as an attempt to wake him up.

"Morning." Milo mumbled, locking their hands together.

Jamie smiled, "Morning."

Milo craned his head to look at the boy, whose hair was messy and falling over his face. Milo fought the urge to rake it back, instead opting to shift entirely to get a better view. Without thinking about it too much, Milo leaned up and kissed him just because. Milo liked knowing that he could kiss Jamie just because.

Jamie was quick to respond and shifted his hand to rest in the small of Milo's back, pulling him closer.

"You taste minty." Jamie commented, pulling away from the affectionate kiss to play with Milo's hair, "how're you feeling?"

Milo let his head fall on the pillow, "Good. Hungover, but good."

Jamie chuckled, "What's the time?"

Milo checked his phone, "Eight-thirty." Jamie, much to Milo's dismay, began crawling over him to get out of bed. Milo whined slightly, "It's Sunday, where do you think you're going?"

Jamie smiled, amused, "I'll be back. Sit tight."

Milo rolled his eyes and unlocked his phone, surprised to see three texts from his mom waiting in his inbox. He wasn't overly alarmed, Milo told her he was staying overnight at Jamie's so it's not like he just took off without warning.

Mom: how was your day with Jamie?

Mom: we need to get going at 11 for Amelia's play

Mom: so come home sometime before that please

Amelia's play had slipped from Milo's mind in the last few weeks, he had so much going on that he completely spaced on his sisters play that his family were going to watch today. As excited as he was to watch her pretend to be a tree for two hours, he couldn't help but feel saddened that he wouldn't get to spend Sunday with Jamie.