Chapter 27~ The Winter Dance

                 I had sworn my loyalty to Mason this morning and I couldn’t shake off the guilty feeling that was eating away at me. I had agreed that loyalty was more important than love and gave it to him. But to Shane, I haven’t been loyal to him.

                 Since the first time since I met them I was uncomfortable sitting with these people I called my friends.

                  “Katsumi, I was informed by Tuesday, that I’m an idiot. I didn’t think to ask, I just assumed we would go, but girls like this kind of stuff. So, would you like to go to the Winter Dance with me?”

                  “That’s how you ask!” Tuesday said as she slapped Shane in the back of the head.

                    How could they be so comfortable around me?

                  “Yes, I’ll go,” I smiled. It wasn’t like I had plans to go with anyone else. It was expected that I go with Shane anyway.

                   “Yay! So we all have dates,” Harper smiled.

                   Before I could ask what she meant, Robbie chimed in. “I don’t think you and Jaimee going together should count.”

                    “Why? She’s my best friend, I love her.”

                    “You love me? I love you too!” Jaimee said and pulled Harper in for a hug. These are the crazy people who had befriended me without even knowing me.

                     “Kat,” Shane took my hand, “I’m glad you said yes.”

**********

                    The Winter Dance wasn’t a winter wonderland like they show in the movies, but it was beautiful. The gym was transformed with paper snow, stringed lights, and a large Christmas tree. It was a dressy causal event so many of the boys were wearing dark jeans with a nice dress shirt and some with jackets. Girls in simple dresses that matched the season, but there were a few people came dressed as Santa’s elves. There was even some gift swapping because many wouldn’t see their friends until after the New Year’s.

                      Shane went out of his way to make a school dance seem romantic. Flowers when he picked me up, escorting me to the table, pulling out my chair, and even asking for the first dance all gentlemen like.

                     “Aww, cutest couple ever!” Jaimee said as she snapped our picture. “It really almost makes me sick,” she laughed.

                      Shane and I were out on the dance floor with just about everyone else in the room. He was trying to teach me some dance that I just wasn’t getting. I couldn’t dance so well and I wasn’t very comfortable attempting to do so. With the universe pitying me the song ended and we retreated back to our table. 

                       The tables were decorated simply, a soft white cloth trimmed with a gold lace and a lit ivory candle place atop a mirror in the center. It was in the flame lit mirror where I first noticed him.

                        “You all looked like you were having fun out there,” he said with a genuine smile. Mason was dressed similar to all the other guys, but there was just something that stood out about him. Maybe it was the white tailored tuxedo coat with tails and grey underneath from head to toe.