Chapter 5 Changes

Morning came fast. I didn’t want to get up, my body still felt sore from the fight. Melanie hasn’t even looked at me let alone talk to me. When the guard came to get me she faced the wall pretending to be sleep. I knew she was because she snores.

I went to the same room like always, but this time Faelin wasn’t there. The room was empty besides the table and chairs. I sighed and took a seat. I put my head on the table and started to fall asleep.

“How can you sleep like that?” A voice asked.I didn’t lift my head, I didn’t care who it was.“I think Kat is ignoring me.” The voice said to someone else.

Someone touches my shoulder. “Katsumi you don’t want to talk to your brother?” Faelin asked. I don’t know what she’s talking about I don’t have a brother. I’m an only child, unless she meant…

I look up to see a boy smiling down at me. “Renji!?” I cried. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m here for you. I may not have been able to stop this from happening, but I’m going to get you out of this.” He said as he pulled me close to him and I felt safe.

“How?” I whispered. I know no matter how much he wanted to help me, he couldn’t.

He ran his hand through my hair. “ By doing everything I can. I’m going to be living here in town until I can take you home. Niyomi, Haku, and Hajime will be coming in a week or two.” He pulled me back to look me in the eyes. “I’ll come back in a day or so…”

“You’re leaving?” I clung to his shirt.

“Yeah. I have too, I can’t be here while you talk to your lawyer.” He patted me on the head. “ I’m going to be talking on your behave in court. When I come back next time I could bring you back a book if you want.”

“Okay.” He hugged me again then started to leave. “Wait Renji!”

“What is it Kat?”

“Um Renji…get a book with small words so you can read it to me.” I grinned.

“Alright.” He laughed.

When he left I just watched the door. I stood there for about ten minutes before I sat back down.Faelin was just waiting for me to start talking. “Where did I leave off at?”

“You were talking about leaving your family.” She gave me a look I couldn’t read.

“Did you tell Renji what I said?” I asked studying her face. It just didn’t feel right when she said that.

“No. Only the people I’m working with have any idea about what you say in here. And even then they only here what could possibly be helpful in court.” She reassured me.

I pursed my lips and glared at her. After a minute or two I gave up. I took a deep breath and started my story again.

**********************

When I turned fifteen I was finally old enough to be in the student exchange program, but just because I was didn’t mean I was going to be going anywhere sometime soon. I had to way another two years before I got a change to go.I was given the choice between going to England and America.

I wasn’t really sure which to choose so I turned to the Internet. If I went to England I would be going to Cambridge School of Visual & Performing Arts. That was a tempting choice, besides reading, art was something I enjoyed doing. I was thinking about making photography a career, so this school would be perfect. But this school was too similar to the one I was at now.

If I was going to leave then I wanted to go somewhere different. Anura Lawson's High School in Los Angeles, California was going to be the school I was going to. It had art programs too and looked a lot more fun then Cambridge.