Chapter 17 Part Two Frankie's Fun Park

Shane and I took turns picking which games to play. We played things from arcade games like pac-man to skee ball. Three turns around the track on the go-karts and two rounds of laser tag.

I wasn’t very good at laser tag; I spent most of the time trying to keep up with Shane. While we ran up and down ramps along the wall. I hid behind him, as he would shoot members of the other team. Even though I didn’t do much, I still had fun. Somehow Shane just made everything more fun.

“Hey, Shane what time is it?” I asked while playing another round of skeeball. My body was tried from all the running around I had done that day.

“Ah…Its almost eleven. Are you ready to go?”

“Eleven?” I had no idea it was that late. We had been there almost five hours.

 “Time sure does flay when your having fun.” He grinned and I smiled back. “Now we just have to exchange our tickets for prizes.”

The prize counter had things you could get for one ticket to things worth ten thousand. Those were things like video game systems. The cheapest was candy and that’s what I had my eyes on.

“Hi.” I said to the woman at the counter. She looked to be in her late thirties. “I want to exchange these.”

“Sure sweetie.” I handed her all the tickets and she took them to a machine to count them. Another woman was did the same for Shane.

“You have 2168 tickets.” A boy told me while he held something that looked like a price gun. He looked to be in his early twenties unlike the two women.

I wasn’t expecting to have so many tickets. I couldn’t eat that much candy. So I started with more expensive things.

“I’ll have four of those…” I pointed to different color flower pens. Harper, Jaimee, Tuesday, and I could all have one. “Two of those…five of those…umm…one of those…and eight of those.” The boy placed each item into a bag. I was now down to a thousand tickets and I was gonna use all of it on candy.

I noticed that Shane was done and standing behind me with his bag of things and an amused look on his face. They had a wide selection of candy. Everything from chocolate to sour to fruity things. They even had one of my favorite candies from Japan. I hadn’t seen it anywhere else. Not that I had been really looking for it.

“Here you are.” The guy handed my three bags full of prizes.

“Thanks.”

“Anytime.” He gave me a smile then went to help the next person exchange their tickets.

“I didn’t know you had such a sweet tooth.” Shane said as we were heading for the car.

“Well you learn something thing new everyday, you know. You want to try some?”

“What is it?”

“Kompetio, its like rock candy. Its really good.”

“Sure why not.” I gave him a hand full when he started the car. “It’s good.” He mumbled with candy in his mouth.

An awkward silence fell upon us. I stuffed my mouth with candy and he went for his ipod.  He spent have the ride flipping through songs, never staying on one for more than thirty seconds. When Shane found what he was looking for he sat the ipod down and he had a satisfied look on his face.

I didn’t recognize the song or the artist but as I listened to the words I couldn’t help but smile. I later learned that the song was called ‘What does it take’ by this guy called Dave Days. He made videos on youtube because he wanted to meet Miley Cyrus. About nine months into making the videos he meet her and did a video song with her. So dreams really do come true. 

Shane parked on the street next to the house because there were two cars in the driveway. One was Mrs. Williams the other I didn’t recognize but it wasn’t Mr. Williams’ car. He didn’t notice that I was staring at the unknown car. Shane got out and went to the passenger side and open the door for me all gentlemen like.

I giggled a little when he held his arm out for me to walk me to the door. I dug in my pocket for my keys but I didn’t open the door. I was waiting for him to do something, say something. This was my first date but I’ve seen movies.

“Bye Shane…” I said because I guess he really wasn’t going to do anything. I stuck the key in the door.

“Katsumi wait.” He said as I started turning the key. I turned around to face him. He stuck his hands in his pockets and look towards the ground. “Kat…Kat can I kiss you?”

My cheeks grew really hot, I’m sure I was the brightest shade of red. All words lost me. I had a weird sense of nervousness, fear, and excitement.

“You don’t have to if you don’t…” Without another word I kissed him. It only took him a few seconds to reacted.  The kiss lasted a minute or two before we pulled away grinning like idiots.

“I’ll see you later.” I said still smiling.

Shane kissed me again. “Later Kat.” He walked back to his car when I opened the door.

I closed the door still smiling, thinking that nothing could ever make this smile go away. But I was wrong.