chapter two: horrendous surprise.

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Waters finally done."
I mumble, shutting off the kettle with one hand, the other is holding the half asleep half angry little boy on my shoulder.

Grabbing the bottle, i pour a bit of the formula in, then screw the lid on tight and shake it up.

"Smells like metal...i cant see how this is appetizing to you."
I say, moving the kid off my shoulder and on his back by my lap, he doesn't seem to object as he shifts around a bit for a comfortable position.

The second i move the bottle to his mouth, he opens it and clamps onto it...maybe the real reason Amanda never breast fed was because he hurts her when she tries, kid has a strong jaw for somebody who doesn't have teeth.

"Pace yourself, chub, don't wanna spit it all back up, do you?"
I chuckle, tilting the bottle a bit.

...its been a while, why haven't they come back? Maybe Amanda freaked out...but she wouldn't do anything drastic, would she? No, she may act different, but she's still sweet calm Amanda.

But...this all still feels weird, maybe its because of how long they've been together, how long I've known them being joined at the hip...its like a big change, i mean, whats going to happen to the house? The baby? It seems like such a rushed thing...i just know people are going to be hurt from this.

But its fine...Markus has my phone number, Amanda too, so if something happens that's really bad, they'll call, right? Right.

"...your Mommy and Daddy are weird, know that?"
I say, staring down at him, he doesn't answer...why did i think he'd answer? Christ, I'm sleep deprived.

Iris coos and stares off into space, hitting the nearly empty bottle with his small, chubby hands. I take it as a sign that he's done and stuff it back into the backpack.

"Half a bottle, your little stomach must be hurting, right?"
I chuckle, he just stares with his toothless grin faintly present.

"...right?"
I mumble...wow, this kid likes food, huh? That formula smells fucking horrible, but i guess it doesn't to this chubby wonder.

Iris lets out a yawn, stretching out his body on my lap and staring up at me with his adorable little eyes.

"Food coma, huh? Seems fit...lets go to bed, chub...who knows what we'll wake up to."
I say, raising up with the limp infant in my arms and walking towards the forest.

...im right though, what will i wake up to? My closest friends becoming enemies? Amanda freaking out and hurting Markus? Or..Markus getting angry and hurting Amanda? I need to stop thinking....they're good people, even under stress.

They're the ones who are going to suffer with this, why am i the one who's so worried?

It feels odd...but i have this eerie little thought that isn't going away. 'What if everything goes to hell?', its not leaving me, not since Markus said that...hell is them being hurt, but total hell is losing both of them in due time..and im scared of how they'll change with this, and if they really will just run off.

And what about Iris? He's so young and Markus might just separate him from Amanda for his entire life...or if Amanda fights for him in court and wins, Amanda could cling onto Iris and isolate him in her house...there's no win win that i can see in this.

"Iris...Tomorrow is another day, whether that day has good or bad in store, we need to accept it with open arms and brace for the change it may give us."
I say...that sounds like poetry, why am i being poetic? I really am sleep deprived.

I get to the camp ground, it only takes me standing there to spot something...or the lack of something, the tents aren't there, just...cloth.

"...what?"
I mumble...Did Amanda or Markus tear them down? I didn't hear them come back..did they?

"That's...creepy."
I say.

Iris starts to whine and let out small sobs, stretching out his body in an attempt to...do something, im not sure what.

"Why are you crying? It's alright...you're alright, chub."
I coo, bouncing him in my arms, he doesn't stop, in fact, he seems to get louder...he hasn't cried this loudly for a long time...what could cause this bad of a fit?

"Hey hey, come on, your Mommy and Daddy aren't gonna be too thrilled if they come back to-...."
I pause, seeing something fall on the babies forehead...a drop of something, but it isn't raining...is it? I can't hear anything..

"What the.."
I mumble, wiping it off with my finger...it acts like a slimy substance and stretches, before breaking and dropping again.

"That's fucking disgusting."
I grimace, but then i feel a drop on my head this time.

Its not raining, and this stuff looks so fucking gross, what is it? Tree slime?? I can smell it on my fingers...it smells just as gross as it looks.

"Fuck this."
I sigh, moving my hand to my head and wiping it off...hopefully at least most of it comes out, im not dealing with this smelly stuff tomorrow morning.

More of the mystery slime dribbles on me, reaching my shirt, my shoulders, and even my hair again, i finally get fed up and start to aggressively wipe it off with my free hand.

"Its not even raining, what is--"
Looking up, my words get caught in my throat...the darkness seems to veil over what im seeing, but the moon is bright enough for me to spot a face...staring down from a tree, as if it were trying to hide from my gaze.

As i continue to look up, a substance drools from its mouth and falls, dropping on my cheek....its been sitting here, drooling on me and Iris like its hungry..

"...fuck."
I manage to shake out. just a single word, and definitely not the best to say in the situation...but my silence is justified by the creature stalking just a dozen or so feet above me.

My words race as i stare down the thing that continues to look at me. Did it tear up the camp site? Was it looking for somebody?? Where are Amanda and Markus, did they see it and run...?? My heart seems to skip beat after beat the longer i stare into its cold, yet distant gaze.

"...this is why you were crying.."
I whisper, did Iris see this thing? Or sense it somehow? Some religious people believe that babies have a strengthened sense...but even if that was true, and Iris did sense this looking at us...that means it had a bad enough motive to upset him.

I see it stand up straight, curiosity hits me for a feint moment, but it leaves and is quickly replaced by total fear as the creature bellows out a roar, is sounds like a warped cry you'd imagine a story book monster to scream out.

I need to run.