chapter ten: the 'curse'.

Got food poisoning, am not feeling good, gonna write and sleep until sunday.

It is now sunday and i somehow feel worse...still writing though.

Its monday, it was not food poisoning, im sick. Fuck.

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cold, quiet...this place is strange, and somehow getting more eerie than the flooded graveyard of a town i was just standing in..

"..having fun there?"
I ask, looking at the swaddled baby chewing on the toy, he doesn't seem to complain and just continues to nom on the little wooden bat.

"Guess so...wait until we get somewhere warm, you'll be even happier."
I say.

I've been following this dirt path for so long, my feet hurt...i wish i was wearing something thicker, like those insulated pants Markus always wore when we first started going on these trips

....man, he always had those on, they got so stained and roughed up, and he was so devastated when they finally tore and stopped being warm....i miss those times, when we were too young to get alcohol but old enough to drive into the forest and go steal some from the campers...we were weird back then, then again, we kinda stayed weird.

Im so worried about them...they just disappeared and left me with their infant, all alone in a creepy dark place...maybe it'll be better when the sun rises.

"I think I'm gonna strangle your daddy when we find him..."
I mumble...his idea of taking Amanda in the forest has given me so many problems.

We reach a big wooden gate, taller than me, and a weird metal diamond-like thing is in the middle of it...a mermaid is in the metal diamond, and the door actually looks slightly new, or at least not mossy and run down.

"...huh."
I hum, pushing on it...if this is all it led to, im not wasting time in staring at it, its too fucking cold out here to wait.

It opens and shows...an entirely new town! Not underwater, but those weird puss bubbles are still here, not as many as in the cave, but still quite a few.

"Look, chub, we're safe!"
I exclaim, looking down at Iris...he doesn't notice in the slightest, he's still just having a good time with the toy, chewing away on it...he really likes that toy.

"Or don't look...that's fine too."
I say, smiling a bit from the distracted baby...its funny in a way, I'll give him that.

The 'adventure' continues as I start to walk up the trail that leads towards the houses, cold ground thumps instead of squishes...im so glad im out of that area, i thought I'd fall in and drown at some point...probably on the boat.

I stop at an old house, big, but not fancy looking, there's animals beside the house and a fence keeping them in, although i easily open the gate and walk into the area..i guess its only meant to keep the animals in, not the people out.

"...wanna go find some people to help us out of this place? I bet you would..if you knew what we were stuck in, you'd be really scared, chub."
I say, he doesn't even look at me...maybe i should take away the toy? No, he's happy, that's really all that's important right now.

I knock on the wooden door, and immediately, scrambling comes from in the house, like running around...what the hell is going on in there?

This place seems just as off as the other area...it feels like eyes are burning the back of my head...that's really fucking creepy. We just need to get some help back to the road...then we can leave and never ever come back...i just need to calm the fuck down, wait until they answer the door, and get the help we need.

"Uh...hello?? We need help, we're lost..!"
I shout, banging on the door again.

...what's that noise? It sounds like a wolf, but a lot deeper...don't wolves hunt at night?? Fucking hell...we need to get in!

"Hey!! Please..!!"
I yell, continuing to hit it, it sounds closer..and deeper, that really doesn't sound like a wolf anymore...

The door opens and a hand reaches out from inside and pulls us from the cold, i can barely register what's happening as i fall on my ass. Iris seems startled and throws the toy...weird baby instinct, but i guess he's showing he's concerned.

"What in Mother Miranda's name were you thinking?? Yelling out there when its dark, that's when those damned cursed roam 'round, are you an idiot..?!"
A man whispers, locking the door, i look at him for a minute, eyeing his strange appearance.

He has long, blonde hair, tied in a really messy bun, his clothes look like they've been pulled out of the early 1900's..and he smells weird, like dirt and wet dog.

"The cursed? What the hell are you talking about?"
I ask, standing up with Iris, he seems focused now that we're somewhere with more voices.

"...are you foreign or an idiot?"
The man asks.

"I'm not from anywhere around here, something pulled me off the road...i landed in the river and washed up in a flooded town."
I explain, he seems to pay attention now, and he looks less like he's gonna hit me.

"That's...a strange way to end up in the Village."
The man mumbles.

"You're telling me...since we got here, I've been looking all over the place for a way out. I have friends that are still in the forest, up on the cliff these...monsters, they split us up.."
I continue.

"...monsters? Care to explain?"
The man asks.

"They're pale, their nails are sharp, their teeth are...long, and their eyes are a blind white color...but they saw perfectly fine and got me off the road."
I explain.

"...those aren't monsters. Those are our people...our family."
The man says, i feel like my brain halts for a second when he says that.

...what? Were those things just normal people? No fucking way, those things looked horrific..there's no way those are humans..

"...what? How did they...why are they like that..?"
I mumble.

"Im not sure how it happens, but how it starts is always the same. a Villager goes missing, and then a while later...they come back like that, they look so..."
The man pauses.

"So...twisted?"
I suggest.

"Nightmarish."
He says.

...so these things might really be people...oh God, does that mean Markus and Amanda might...no, that wont happen...

"Yeah...that's accurate, you see them and you never forget them.."
I say...the one in the trees will definitely be in my nightmares for the rest of my life.

"...my wife went missing months ago, she came back as one of those things...my son ran up to her and hugged her, she just...latched onto his side, she wouldn't stop...so a Villager shot her in the stomach."
The man mumbles, a devastated expression on his face...it must still be really painful to remember, if it was as horrific as it sounds, i don't think he'd ever get over it...

"Im so sorry...that must've been painful to see."
I say...that is something that can make a grown man cry..

"They said i had to kill my son as well, that the curse would pass onto him...he heard them and ran off, nobody's seen him since...my poor little Ben.."
The man whispers.

Iris starts to cry a little, so I bend down and pick up his toy, handing it back to him, when i look back at the man, he's looking straight at Iris.

"...is that your baby?"
The man asks.

"No, it's my friends...i had the baby when we got separated."
I explain.

"...hold onto it, don't let it go, not even for one second."
The man says.

"...why is that?"
I ask...i wouldn't plan to, but him saying that gives me chills.

"...infants aren't safe in this place."
He says.

...what does he mean by that?