chapter nine: the statues.

I got fixated on RE8, but now im slowly being pulled into hyperfixation by RE3 because of the bed-head umbrella boy.

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This....this is taking a while. How far up is it taking us?

"...i wish i was asleep."
I mumble, staring down at the peaceful little baby in my arms...his tiny snores are my only comfort right now.

"Yeah, you've had a hell of a time here, full of naps and scary stuff."
I say, cradling his big head with my other hand.

I wonder where this will actually go...im curious and scared at the same time, what if it leads to creatures and i just doomed us? Or what if it leads to the road and we're safe? So many possibilities...but so many are really terrifying.

This entire trip has been shitty, first Amanda and Markus have a 'strong talk' about Iris and Amanda, then Markus loses the matches and we have to start a fire in a much harder way, then...all this, it just goes to show that these trips aren't a good idea when we don't know a single thing about the area besides 'its a camping-safe site'...safe my ass.

Iris starts to move around, i stare down at him as he lets out a big yawn and opens his eyes, no crying, no grunting...he just stares.

"Hey there...good nap?"
I ask, he just gives me that big toothless smile and fidgets with his chubby hands.

"So great nap, that's nice."
I chuckle, poking his nose.

The elevator has been going up for way too long, i feel like I'll die of old age before im actually at the top....i would kill for a pizza right now.

I remember when Markus and I met, it was back in my senior year of high school. he was working part time at this pizza place i stumbled into, i was lost and hungry...and he thought it was so funny that i didn't know i walked into a pizzeria, after ordering a Pizza and talking to him for a while, i found out he was in the same school i was at, and we just started hanging out constantly. A few years of hanging out led me to introduce him to Amanda...the rest followed from there.

...i hope he's okay, i know he's a forest type of person, but this...this weird scenario makes me worry for both of them...i just want to get back to the forest and see them there, see them...safe, see them happy, see them like i saw them when we were younger..

"...i feel like just saying 'fuck it' and waiting for those things to come and find me, but i know its not just me that'll suffer if i do that...chub, wanna talk me out of it?"
I mumble, Iris stares at me like he's trying to understand what im telling him.

The tiny little baby holds one of his hands up to me, making a grabbing motion.

"What's that for?"
I ask, he just continues...does he want my hand? Or a bottle? Diaper? His toy? Im so confused about this kid, Amanda barely let me near him, i don't know what half the things he does means.

i balance him with one of my arms and reach out to his grabby hand with my other hand.

"Is this good? Happy now?"
I ask, putting out my pointer finger to his tiny hand.

To my surprise, he grabs my finger and pulls it to his arms, holding it tightly like he's hugging my hand...maybe he can feel how fucking horrible i feel.

"...thanks, buddy. i know that's probably just you being a baby and grabbing the closest thing you see...but thanks."
I mumble, leaning my head on his.

The elevator finally stops, in front of me is what looks like a small area held together underground, and only a yellow ladder is in here.

"Im gonna need my hand back, chub. How about your toy instead?"
I ask, pulling my arm away from him and reaching to the little wooden bat toy in my pocket, he immediately forgets about my hand and swipes the toy, noming on it.

"Have fun then."
I chuckle, stepping out of the elevator.

I hold Iris tightly to my side with one hand, and grip the ladder with the other, hooking my legs on the ladder as i go up to make sure i don't fall...if i fell now, I'd definitely be pissed....and possibly dead.

The ladder isn't as tall as i realized, as it doesn't take long to reach the surface...inside of a windmill, did i just go back to the windmill by the mans building? No...that ladder lead up, not down.

I cautiously step on the wooden floor of the windmill, eyeing the similarities to the one i was just at..it looks pretty similar, but there's definitely differences, this one has a typewriter here too, but there's nothing on the paper inside it.

"Hey...we're out, so that's good, right?"
I question, looking down at the baby, he doesn't seem to mind the change of scenery, he's more invested in that toy of his...i am so glad the man gave this to me, if i see him again, i need to properly thank him.

"Yeah, so what if we're still lost? We're out, and we can probably find our way to somewhere good now! Probably, well...hopefully...maybe? Let's just stick with probably."
I say, more or less talking to myself again, since Iris doesn't pay a single ounce of attention to my rant.

As i step outside the windmill, the creeping cold digs inches into my body again, although it doesn't feel as eerie and depressing as before...i guess it feels more liberating now that im not feet away from a flooded town, one that probably held families and memories, now nothing but a murky and oxygen stealing grave to so many...i gotta stop thinking before i get sad again.

So, here we are....no matter what we find up here, at least it isn't the river.