22 - Season Changes

The seasons were changing and Jack knew what that meant. He woke up on a November morning with the thought of how little time he had was on his mind.

Everyone picked up on Jack's sorrow over his leaving in a month and a half.

Jack and Evan went to eat breakfast once they were both ready. They were joined by Bailey.

Evan greeted Bailey as Jack angrily stabbed his eggs.

"Hey, Bailey," Jack greeted her, trying to keep his bitterness from his voice but he failed.

"Hey, Jack," Bailey said, hesitantly. 

She pulled a chair and sat down.

Jack took a bite from his eggs.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Let me see," Jack said, "I'm leaving in a month and a half. What do you think?"

"I'm sorry," Bailey said.

Jack sighed and leaned back on his chair. He dropped his fork on the table.

"I'm sorry," Jack said. "I'm just..."

"Bitter?" Evan said.

"Angry?"

"Depressed?"

Jack looked at them.

"I don't need to be reminded that I'm feeling those things," Jack said. "I just wish I didn't have to leave."

"Hey, let's go to the basketball court when we're done with breakfast," Evan suggested. "We can play basketball with Zack, Marcus and Peter."

Jack hesitated.

He usually jumps on the idea. The moment someone mentions basketball, they had his attention regardless of what they were saying about it. He loved basketball. 

This time... he didn't want to play basketball. Basketball won't make him feel better about leaving after only a semester.

"I don't know," Jack said.

Evan and Bailey's faces fell. 

It was the first time Jack ever didn't want to play basketball. He always plays during his free time, but this time...

"Oh, wow," Evan said, stunned. "Damn."

Bailey gave Evan a shrugged.

"What?" Evan demanded. "No, really, Bailey, what? I only said 'damn.' It's not like I said 'shit.'"

Bailey shook her head at Evan.

Jack finished his breakfast.

Once Evan and Bailey finished their food, they got up and headed over to the lobby for mail.

Most of their peers were there, excitedly opening their mail and sharing it among their friends.

Jack, Evan and Bailey picked up the remaining packages on the mail cart.

Jack smiled when he saw the Taylors family name on it.

Seeing Harrison's, Matt's and Roses's names on the letter was the only thing that brought a smile onto his at this point. 

"Who's it from?" Zack asked.

"Your parents?" Peter, unaware of the relationship Jack has with his parents, said.

"No," Jack shook his head.

"Then who is it from?" Peter asked, tilting his head.

A smile appeared on his face.

"Is it a girlfriend you never told us about?" he asked Jack.

"What? No," Jack said. "It's from my best friend, Matt and his family."

"Oh," Peter said. 

"I've always heard about this Matt," Marcus said, "but never knew who he really is."

"Dude, Jack literally just said that Matt is his best friend," Woody said.

"I know that," Marcus snapped at Woody, "but like, who is he? Really?"

"Oh, he's great!" Jack smiled. "He's the greatest friend ever. I wish you guys could meet him."

"Me too," Evan said. "Based on the times I've talked to him when you two were on the phone..."

Jack smiled.

"Don't get me wrong, guys," Jack said, "as much as I hate to leave you guys at the end of the semester, I'm excited to see Matt and all of my friends back home when I get back."

"I definitely get that feeling," Bailey said, "missing everyone back home and all."

"Yeah," Jack said.

Jack glanced down at his letter.

"I, um, I'm going head back to Evan and I'd cabin," Jack said.

He turned around and left his friends.

Jack sat down on his bed and took out everything from the envelop and went through everything with a small smile on his face.

The door opened.

"Are you okay, buddy?" Evan asked.

"Hm?" Jack looked up. "Oh, yeah, I am. Yeah. I just miss my friends, that's all."

"I know," Evan said, sadly. "Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?"

"Oh, Evan, I'm fine and don't worry about it."

Evan hesitated but accepted it.

Jack was fine. He was fine. He knew he was fine, but... he was having such a great time on the S.S Tipton. He got to visit all these new places that he wouldn't have been able to go to, now... it's being taken away from him because his parents care more about what people think about them and their family rather than what it's best for Jack.

He understood to an extent, but he wished that his parents were less concerned with what people thought of their family and more about him.

It sucked, but what can he do? There's only so much he can do with his parents.

"Are you hungry?" Evan asked.

"We just ate breakfast," Jack reminded him.

"Oh, right, right," Evan remembered. "We just ate. Um, a snack?"

"Nah," Jack shook his head. "I'm fine. I'm not that hungry yet."

"O - okay," Evan said. "Do you want to meet up with the others and play basketball?"

"No, you go ahead," Jack said. "I'll meet up with you guys later.

Evan wasn't sure what to do. He wanted Jack to feel better, but what can he do? Jack isn't telling him what he needs.

"Go!" Jack insisted. "I'm fine, I swear."

Evan hesitated.

He gave in and after making sure that Jack was fine again, he left.