27 - Brake for Whales

Jack's time on the cruise ship was getting closer and closer. They had a few days until they got to New York and Jack and his class thankfully finished their exams and had nothing to worry about. 

All Jack could think of is the fact that the days leading up to their arrival in New York is his last few days on the cruise ship.

"Dude, you have to visit us on deck," Evan said as they walked out of their room. 

"I'll try," Jack said, "but no promises."

Evan nodded. "Yeah, hopefully, you can, but dude, please try."

Jack nodded.

"I promise I'll try but that's as far as I can go," Jack said.

They walked out onto the Sky Deck to see Zack, Cody and Bailey sitting at the smoothie bar.

Zack and Cody were in a middle of an argument.

"Guys! Look!" Bailey exclaimed.

"Hey, guys," Jack said, uncertainly.

He was unsure of what he and Evan had walked into.

Jack and Evan glanced at each other as they looked over Cody's shoulders.

"Hey, guys," Bailey said. "Look," she pointed at her computer screen. "The whales are just off the coast of  South America and heading in the direction of the ship."

"Whales?" Evan repeated. 

"No way!" Cody exclaimed. "If we're lucky, we'll be able to see our babies feasting on krill in temperature waters!"

"Do we even want to know?" Jack asked.

"What could possibly be more fun?" Zack said, mockingly.

"No, we do not," Evan answered.

Jack nodded in agreement.

"Oh, wait," Zack continued. "Anything."

***

Jack and Evan found things to do to occupy their day. They ended up joining Marcus and Zack at the Sky Deck as Marcus tested out some equipment to record whale sounds.

"Bad news, guys," Bailey said, joining the three of them, "the captain won't change our course to save the whales."

"Oh, no," Marcus said, disappointedly. "Instead of recording their beautiful whale songs, I'll be recording -" he grabbed Jack and began shaking him, "'Help! There's a propeller in my eye!'"

Marcus let go of Jack.

Jack was stunned at what Marcus did anything.

"The only thing I can think of is to build a giant solar sail," Cody said, "that could overpower the ship's engine and blow us off course."

"Cool," Marcus said.

The group turned around from the ship's railing took several steps away from it.

"Only one problem," Cody said, pessimistically, "I would need a sail the size of Manhattan."

"Or, you could sneak into the engine room, cause a distraction, get everyone out, lock the doors behind you, and shut the engines off while your little whale kids swim by," Zack suggested.

They all looked at Zack, impressed.

"What?" he asked.

***

Marcus bent down on his knees by the engine room.

A part of Jack wished that Alex or Matt were here. They would be able to use their magic to help.