[1] Dress To Impress

🌹Rosabella🌹

"Are you crazy?!" Ben exclaims as I follow him into his office. "Oh, c'mon! Why is it so bad?! Just teach me!"

"No, Mom will kill me if she finds out," he says as he shucks off his jacket and tosses it into his desk chair. "Who's gonna tell her? I'm not gonna. Please, Ben! Please!" He shakes his head, turning to look at me only to groan when he sees the look I'm giving him.

"Stop, Rosabella. That pouty face may work on Dad, but it doesn't work on me. You can't just bat those eyelashes of yours and expect me to do whatever you want. Especially, when you know Mom wouldn't approve." He starts sifting through the mess of paperwork on his desk and I make a noise of frustration.

Ever since Ben became King I can't seem to get him to spend anytime with me. I know being a King is a huge responsibility, but even Dad always seemed to find time to spend with me growing up. "God, would you just stop and look at me!" Hearing the frustration and sadness in my voice made him pause and look up at me.

His already kind expression softens into an even gentler one. "It's ridiculous that I have to make an appointment to spend time with my own brother!"

"I know and I'm sorry. I've just been really bu—"

"Busy, I know. But if you can find time to spend with Mal you should at least be able to find time to spend with me. You know, your sister." He exhales and sets the paper down on his desk. "Why do you want me to teach you fencing anyway? You're a princess and I don't see us going to war anytime soon."

"Besides the fact that learning to fight is essential isn't it obvious that I just want to spend some time with you? I miss my brother." He gives me a smile and nods in understanding. "I miss you too." I smile happily and he grins.

"By the way I like what you've done with your hair. Mal do that for you?" I nod as I grab a couple strands to catch a glimpse of the dark auburn streaks that are now in my normally brunette hair. "Yeah. Good, right?"

"Very. I doubt Mom will think so." I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest. "Listen, Rosabella, I know that Mom is a little… overbearing sometimes—"

"A little?" I question as I fiddle with the rings on my fingers, twisting the rose ring around as I can practically hear her disapproving words already. "You know what I mean. You know she means well and how much she loves you. You just got to try your best. It may not always be easy, but just try. Okay?"

"I'll try if she tries."

"I guess that's the best I'm gonna get."

"So, will you teach me?" He sighs again and looks up at me as I give him my best smile. He chuckles and shakes his head. "Mom is gonna kill me."

"Only if she finds out. Besides you're king now and they rarely ever visit the campus unless it's a formal event. She'll never have to know." 

"I hope you're right. Fine, I'll teach you."

"Yes!!" I clap with happiness as I jump in place. "But not today, I have a meeting later. We'll start tomorrow after school." I nod and race around his desk throwing my arms around him in a loving hug. "Thanks, Ben!"

"Don't thank me yet," he says after a chuckle and pats my arm. I pull away and give a beaming smile. "I can't wait. It's going to be so much fun hanging out again." He nods in agreement and I wave goodbye when I realize I need to get going.

"See you at home, your majesty." He shakes his head with a smile and waves goodbye. "See you later, Princess Rosabella." I leave and exit the building only to get blinded by multiple flashes of light. I quickly shield my eyes against the harsh flares as a chorus of voices rise up, hurling multiple questions at me.