[24] Saving Auradon

🐉Mal🐉

I look at Uma pleadingly after Rosa walked away. She looks down, lifting up her shell that glowed when we stopped Audrey from locking us in earlier. But nothing happens and she drops her necklace back down. "Bummer. Let's go find Gil and leave them all to rot."

"No," I say as tears fill my eyes and Harry brushes past me with a sad expression following his captain. "Uma!" I call to her but she keeps walking, following the same direction that Hadie and Rosa took. "Guys, what did she mean about Jason?" Ben asks with a completely heartbroken look on his face after the heated speech his sister gave.

"Ben," Carlos whispers and places his hand on his arm, silently telling him that now is not the time to get into it. Evie walks up to me and I can see the disappointment and sting of betrayal in her eyes. "Evie... I'm so sorry." She continues moving towards me as I hold my dad's ember, having lost its power when Hadie tossed it into the water.

"I'm sorry, I just... I thought that... I was afraid to tell you. I thought I was gonna lose my best friend. But I had to do something. I had to protect Auradon," I explain my heart still aching from Rosa and Hadie's hateful and angry words.

"Closing the barrier was your idea?"

"I did it for us." Jay and Carlos share looks with each other. "I did it for our life that we have here now."

"For our life?" She's asks in disbelief and points in the direction of where the Isle is. "What about the kids that we left behind on that island. The kids that we promised!" She points to herself as tears come to her eyes and she shakes her head at me. "We were their only hope. I thought you were gonna stand up for the VKs. But instead, you lied to them."

She points behind her to each person she names next. "And you lied to Jay. And you lied to Carlos. And you lied to me! We're your family." She shakes her head as tears slip from my eyes once again and she begins backing away from me. "Evie."

She shakes her head, not wanting to hear it as Carlos crouches down, reaching for Dude. Celia walks over to Evie who wraps her arm around her shoulder as she cries. "Evie, come on. I had no choice!" A flash of bright light blinds me and I raise my arms up to shield my eyes, but it quickly faded away.

I lower my arms and cry when I see my friends have been turned to stone. "No!" I curl my hands into fists and tears trail down my face.

"Here you are alone, and you deserve it
Your friends have turned to stone
And that's on you
You had a cause to serve but did you serve it
Or did you see yourself in a way that wasn't true?"

I walk over to Ben who was about to defend me before Audrey cast her spell. I look up at him sadly, brushing my hand against his. I walk past him and go over to Jay, looking up into his face.

"Why tell all those lies?
You feel unworthy
Like there isn't solid ground for you to stand
But a stack of lies is not a firm foundation
You cannot build a castle on a mountain made of sand"

I go over to Carlos and then over to Evie, reaching my hand out toward her face as she clutches Celia to her.

"This is not your father's fairytale
And no, it's not your mother's fault you fail
So when your story comes to light
Make sure the story that they write

Goes once upon time she fought a dragon
Once upon a time that beast was me
Once upon a misspent youth
She faced herself
She spoke the truth
That's how I see my once upon a time
This time"

I race off after Uma and Harry, managing to catch up to them in front of Auradon Prep. "Uma!" She turns to look at me, but Harry puts his hand on her shoulder, telling her not to bother. "Uma stop!" She keeps marching on and I get in front of her holding my hands out as we stop. "Please, stop! I need your help."