[16] VK Day

☠️Harry☠️

I stick to the shadows watching the celebration unfold as all the kids are excited for VK Day. I watch Mr. Smee leading his two youngest twin sons along and smile. I owe Mr. Smee very much. He never really had the courage to stand up to my father whenever he was being particularly cruel, but he was always at my side when it was over.

Whether it was cleaning up the blood, tending my wounds, or comforting me when I needed it most. He was there. I hope they take the twins. Most young VKs learn the ways of survival early on, but with them not having such a terrible father they're a lot more shy and timid than any other VK on the Isle.

"Came to watch the show too, huh?" A familiar voice asks and I turn to see Hadley stepping up beside me. She's wearing a black leather jacket with small spikes on the shoulders, black crop top, dark blue open toed heels, spiked bracelet, fingerless leather gloves, and her signature cerberus necklace.

She looks up at Mal, Evie, Jay, Carlos, and Rosabella. I see the anger in the goddess's orange eyes. "Hadley, don't start anythin," I warn her and she narrows her eyes at me. "Don't tell me what to do. My sister and I need to have a word." I sigh as she moves past me and disappears into the crowd of VKs.

Her sister broke a promise, big deal. King Benny's girl left us all here to rot over the course of three years. She's been living the dream along with the other Core Four while we've been here, suffering. And only recently did she and her boyfriend decide to free more VKs. It may be little by little, four at a time and I should be happy about that, but I'm not.

Cause you know what happens when the numbers in the Isle dwindle and they get to us? Nothing. Mal and her lot will leave us here just like she did the first time. We'll be trapped on an island full of adult villains not to mention our parents. I look back to Smee only to narrow my eyes as an older VK snatches the papers from the twins' hands.

I rush forward and place my hand on the VKs chest, stopping him in his tracks. "Really?" I ask him with a tilt to my head and he stutters in response. I take the two papers from him and shove him behind me. "Thank you for your cooperation," I say sarcastically and walk over to the Smee twins.

"Here ya go, wee ones." I give them their papers and they stare up at me with bashful eyes. "What do you say to Harry, boys?"

"Thank you," they say together and I flash them a smile. "Don't mention it, lads."

"Harry, how's that scar? Is it healing okay?" I lift my shirt up to reveal the slightly faded scar given to me by my father last year. "Can barely see it."

"Please be careful, Harry."

"I will, Mr. Smee. If the twins are chosen ya want me to be there for the send off?"

"I'd like that." He nods and looks down at his sons with a sad, but hopeful expression. I clap him lightly on the shoulder and he looks back up at me as I smile. "Good luck, Mr. Smee." He nods and I step back leaving the crowd to return to the shadows.

Cheering catches my attention and I look up at Mal, Evie, and Rosa. My heart beats just a little bit faster in my chest at the sight of her as she smiles down at the VKs. It's been almost a year since I saw her last. Spent my eighteenth birthday in the crow's nest, staring out at Auradon, wondering how she was.

She looks a little tried, but overall she seems happy and healthy and that's all I can ask for. "I can't believe this day has finally arrived," Evie says and cheers erupt from the gathered crowd looking up at them. "I think I speak for everyone when I say I wish we could take you all with us," Rosabella says truthfully with a sad smile.