02 | Two

PHOEBE  HAYES

"BYE JARED, SEE YOU tomorrow." I speed walk out of the newsroom before I hear my name being called again.

"Phoebe, you forgot your binder."

I practically run back into the newsroom, scrambling to get my binder with all my notes and other stuff like schoolwork, ideas, random drawings and I think poems too. Honestly I've been super unorganised because of the amount of work I've been getting. I barely have any time to clean things up anymore.

I clutch the binder to my chest, letting out a small breath before giving Jared a small nod letting him know that I'm leaving again.

I close the door behind me and walk down the hall with happiness written all over my face.

Even though I'm completely drained because of school I got assigned the best piece. Me and three other people are supposed to write a short piece about one of the art majors participating in the exhibition that's happening in a couple of weeks.

It does seem like a really long time away but Jared told us all that we need to get as much information about the artist and their work because one of them will have their work showcased in an art gallery at some point.

It's just one of those things that I'm excited to do even if it doesn't really make sense, I don't really know how some of these things connect to each other but my brain isn't working so early in the morning so it's fine.

I push open the doors and walk out onto the cobblestone path that leads to the shops not too far away. I grab my phone from my bag checking the time to make sure I have enough time to grab something to drink.

I don't have much time so I quickly speed walk to the cafe down the street so I can get a chai latte. To be completely honest, it tastes better than coffee and I used to be addicted to coffee so that's really saying something.

Grabbing my hood, I pull it over my head trying to shield myself from the rain. I love rain. It does nothing to help my hair though, so I'd rather not get it wet at all. It's been raining all week and I don't really like when that happens because it makes it hard for me to go places but I always remember that the rain isn't necessarily for us, it's for the plants.

That's probably the only thing my mother told me that I actually believed.

I walk up to the counter fiddling with my backpack zipper so I can get my wallet. "Hi, can I get an iced chai latte with extra sugar? Oh, and a chocolate croissant."

"Will that be all?" I nod at the lady behind the counter giving her the money and telling her my name for the order before she turns away to make my drink.

I really want to speak french more often but it's harder than I thought, and it doesn't help me in any way that I can understand people who are speaking french but I somehow can't speak it. I'm still trying to figure out how that works but oh well.

"Order for Phoebe." I go to the other side of the cafe to grab my drink before heading back out into the downpour. I take a sip of my drink while looking through my notifications.

On my way back to the lecture hall I get a call, I frown at the contact number considering she hasn't called me in over four months. "What do you want Mila."

"What? I can't say hi to my favourite sister."

I scoff, "I'm your only sister."

"Oh whatever, you know what I mean."

"Sure."

"Anyways, how are you?" She says and I immediately stop in my tracks.

"None of your business."