14 | Fourteen

PHOEBE HAYES

WAKING UP TO MY alarm is probably the hardest part of my day. But having to wake up to my phone ringing is even worse, especially on a Saturday morning. I don't know who thinks it's ever a good idea to call someone at this God awful hour but I'll sue them for waking me up so early.

Opening my eyes slightly, I fumble with the stuff sitting on my side table. In an attempt to get my phone to stop ringing, I almost broke the ceramic frog sitting on my bedside table, and considering that was a gift, it would probably be best for me to just open my eyes.

I lean over grabbing my phone to answer it. "What could you possibly want at this time," I groaned.

"Is that anyway to talk to someone in the morning?" Elijah's deep voice comes through my end of the phone.

"Considering you woke me up, yes, yes it is." I rub my eyes trying to get rid of the sleep pulling me back down.

"Well someone isn't a morning person," he chuckles.

"Oh you think? I hadn't even noticed. And why the hell are you up so early anyway?"

"I'm coming to pick you up, I'll be at your place in fifteen."

"Minutes?" I ask.

"No, years."

"Fuck off, I'm too tired for this."

"Wish I could but you promised to help me. Do you remember that?" I can already picture the stupid grin on his face.

My eyes almost bug out of my face and I shoot up in my bed, wincing at the pain in my neck.

"You're joking right." I rake my hands through my hair trying to think.

"Have you ever heard me tell a joke?" he asks.

"Yeah, the story of your life. Now leave me alone. I'll come help you tomorrow."

"Get dressed and be ready by the time I get there. And one more thing, stop complaining."

"But why can't—" My talking gets cut off when he hangs up the phone on me mid sentence.

"Son of a bitch." I whisper to myself while rushing to get ready. What do I do with fifteen minutes? That's barely enough time for me to be fully awake.

I rush out of my room grabbing my toiletry bag and shoes. I quickly brush my teeth and wash my face before almost tripping on the way back to my place. This is not how I envisioned my Saturday going at all.

"Took you long enough." I lift my gaze up to see Elijah leaning against the door jam of my dorm.

"Why are you. . .no you said fifteen minutes." I shake my head, grabbing my keys and unlocking the door.

I walk toward my room not even caring if he's behind me or not. I hold up my hands, indicating that I need at least five minutes to change but all he does is rake his gaze all over my body.

My cheeks heat, and I want to turn and run headfirst into a wall right about now.

"Is that what you sleep in? It's literally freezing outside." He laughs at me and I look down to take in my appearance.

Blue lounge shorts and an oversized t-shirt that I stole from my dad when I was sixteen. I guess I'm a tad bit under dressed but who can blame me? It gets hot at night, or at least I do.

"I get hot at night so I don't usually sleep in anything too heavy." I shrug, clutching my toiletry bag closer to my chest.

"I don't have all day to wait so get changed and we can leave."