35 | Thirty-five

PHOEBE HAYES

TODAY IS PROBABLY GOING to be my favourite day. Yes, I know I say that about almost everyday, but today is. . .different. It's Valentine's Day and I have the perfect thing to give to Elijah. I've been writing them for a month and a half now, just a little over when we started dating and I think he'll like them.

Though, I will admit that I'm not the best writer, I tried, and my handwriting partly makes up for that.

God, I'm so excited that I can barely wait. It's the excitement that gets to me, I just can't hold my smile in. It is weird to grin from ear-to-ear for the entire day? Probably, but I don't really care.

"What's got you smiling so much?" Gia asks from her spot on the couch next to Andrea.

"Nothing really, are you guys doing anything for Valentine's days?" I turn around, grabbing a granola bar from the basket behind me.

"Well unlike you and Harper, I'm still very much single and lonely, so no," she shrugs.

"That sucks for you," I stick out my tongue and she gives me the finger, laughing under her breath.

Just then, Andrea walks in wearing a yellow dress that highlights her darker skin. She looks really for the runway and even then, she's still beautiful no matter what clothes she's wearing. I really do appreciate my friends and though it seems like I never hang out with them, I do.

Especially considering the fact that we're all swamped with school, and homework, oh, and our jobs; we barely get any time to relax. It's honestly so draining to have to think about five things all at once and on top of that, make sure that the people around you are okay.

It's a support system in a way. You make sure they're okay, and they do the same for you. Only when you're ready do you tell them that you're okay enough to not need their shoulder to lean on anymore.

"Andrea, you look great, but where are you going?" I cock my head at her, taking another bite of my granola bar as well.

"I have a date," she flashes me a smile, smoothing her hands down the sides of her dress.

"You do? With who?" Gia practically jumps up from her spot on the couch and popcorn flies out of her hands. She looks down at the mess in front of her, muttering a soft, "sorry."

"It's a secret," she smirks.

"Oh? A mysterious date, now you have me wanting to know more," I pout, looking at her as though her love life interests me, because it does. It's literally like reading a romance book but you can actually say something.

"Well then, you'll just have to wait for me to get back. I'm off, I'll see you guys later," she grins widely, her steps fevered and nervous yet still somehow looking confident as ever. Then she whispers under her breath, "Or not, who knows if I'll come back tonight."

My eyes go wide and I stare at her. "I heard that! Come back right now," I hop off my spot at the island to race to the door before she closes it.

"Nope, not saying anything. See you guys. I love you!" And with that, she closes the door. Man, this isn't fair, I wanted to know what she was saying. She's always been a pretty private person so she doesn't talk a lot about herself, and I'm okay with that. Though, I will admit that sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me and I just want to know. . .more?

"And then there were two," Gia sighs, leaning her head against the back of the couch.

I pat her shoulder, looking down from where I'm standing behind the couch. "Cheer up, G. Maybe you'll find someone? Who knows?"