The Reaping

*CRASHES THROUGH GLASS CEILING* I AM ALIVE!!
So. I postponed the update by multiple months. Again. Unfortunately, my mental health wasn't at it's best these past few months, and that combined with me moving on to some other fandoms kinda caused me to lose motivation- but, not to worry! This book is a raging dumpster fire disaster, and I LOVE IT FOR THAT! I intend to see this project to the very end, no matter how chaotic or stupid it gets. All of you guys' hilarious comments make my day, and I don't want to let you down! I had a lot of trouble with this chapter, mainly because it seemed kind of boring at first, and I wanted to move on to the real fun part (which will mostly be next chapter; sorry), but then I realized what I really needed- to write from Kinkajou's POV! Being crazy and nonsensical is a great relief for me as an author sometimes. 

Anyways, enjoy!

"This is it," announced Turtle, panting desperately as he tried to catch up with the group, "I have climbed this hill, and I will now die upon it." He collapsed on a nearby log with a sigh, readjusting the green bandana holding his curly hair out of his face. Peril stopped walking, sitting down by him. "Dude, we've only been walking for 5 minutes, what's up?" she nudged him slightly, trying to get him to either talk or get back up and join the rest of the group, who were now getting further and further away down the trail. "Is it that total snotface, Morrowseer?" She inquired. "Look, I know he has the personality of an unwashed sock recently fished out of a garbage disposal, but we gotta get moving soon."

Turtle hesitated to speak, reaching for the water bottle in his backpack instead- his gut was telling him something was wrong. Really, really wrong- but that was a feeling he got pretty often, and it would be selfish of him to bug his friends about it and ruin their day when it was probably nothing. Just because he was nervous didn't mean they had to be too.

"You know what," he started. "I think I'm going to head back to the lodge. You can keep going without me."

________________________________________________________________________________

*1 HOUR PRIOR*

"Come on, come on! We're going to miss the assembly!" Called Kinkajou, skipping ahead of the others to reach the firepit that all the other students were gathered around. After unpacking in their rooms, the teachers had told them to sit by the firepit while a short assembly about the schedule and safety was held- Moon and a few others were excused from attending it because they had volunteered to set up the arts and crafts area, and then assist other students there when the assembly ended- and at the same time, everyone else would get to choose between a host of fun activities too! Call her overly excitable, but her enthusiasm over this trip seemed to grow bigger and bigger by the second- there was an actual lake, with kayaks! And jet ski mattresses! And a swimming area!! She wondered if Moon had ever ridden on one of those back in Florida, but the thought was quickly overrun by all the others flying rapidly through her head because she was just. so. happy!

Shortly after she took a seat with her friends, the assembly began. Principal Thorn spoke first, asking them, "are you ready to have some fun?", and following up with the obviously classic phrase "I can't hear you! I said, are you ready to have some fun?", trying to urge more students into enthusiasm. Afterwards, Webs, their dreary history teacher, took to explaining the rules and safety regulations of camp with about as much eagerness as a literal rock; But that was far from the biggest issue, because, as the other teachers were finishing up, Thorn came forward again- accompanied by vice-principal Morrowseer. 

Kinkajou liked to think that she didn't often misjudge people -and when it came to this guy? She did not like him (although, considering her main philosophy on this matter was 'only terrible people don't use a baby voice when talking to dogs', she could be wrong). Even if Moon may have exaggerated just a little bit when telling them about her past all those months ago, Kinkajou wasn't willing to bet on it. Plus, even just looking at Morrowseer, he seemed a little off- I mean, who really greases their hair back that way, while simultaneously being aware that they have a humongous forehead? Only him. 

But regardless of her personal opinion on the man, nothing could have prepared her for what she would have to decide when he stepped up and announced that he would be hosting his own activity- a nature walk through the forest aided by Starflight- Kinkajou visibly cringed at the thought of poor Starflight being forced to lead an activity with that man just because he was a volunteer- and she only felt better after realizing that no one with more than one brain cell would willingly go on a walk with Morrowseer- the activity would probably be cancelled anyways. And unfortunately, she was right.

"If no students volunteer," continued Morrowseer, "the walk will be cancelled- and I will be at the arts and crafts pavilion, taking care of a personal matter. Anyone who wants to participate can raise their hand now".

She heard Qibli suck in a breath sharply, and turned towards him. But It didn't take her long to realize why he looked so stunned. 

If no one goes on the walk, Morrowseer will be at the arts and crafts pavilion-  the place where Moon is, right now!

All of the times that she and the others had gone out of their way to make sure that Morrowseer didn't notice or suspect Moon's identity over the past few months, all of it would be for nothing. And above all, Kinkajou wanted to protect her friend- no matter what reason had caused the man to come here, he would have to go through her and the entire arsenal of unlikely weapons stored in her backpack- which included (but was not limited to) a handful of sharpened paperclips and an abnormally spikey pineapple she'd sculped out of clay in the 5th grade. 

But before she could devise a plan for attacking her vice principal with a pineapple, Kinkajou actually had to think. Sure, shoving a clay sculpture up his face before he could act on whatever he wanted to do with Moon would be nice, but would most likely end in someone getting expelled.

She could hear Winter whispering to Qibli, "I hope you're not about to do something stupid", and  was barely able to catch him reply "I hope you're not hoping to hard" when a hand shot up into the air. "I volunteer!" announced Qibli, giving the vice principal his classic smug grin. "Uh, Me too!" Chimed in Kinkajou. She could practically feel Winter roll his eyes behind her back. 

"What is this, the hunger games?" He scoffed under his breath. "Call me when you morons finish the audition- HEY!" He nearly fell of of the log he was seated on when Peril elbowed him in the stomach. "What is your problem!" He hissed at her, "and more importantly, why are your elbows so sharp?"

Peril stifled a laugh as she raised her hand to volunteer. "Sorry, bro, but unless enough of us volunteer, Morrowseer will end up at the arts and crafts. I did not get forced into the yearbook club for this to happen." Turtle volunteered as well, quietly observing the situation. Finally, with a tense sigh of defeat, Winter raised his hand as well. Kinkajou could guess that he probably hadn't realized that Moon was at risk yet- he hadn't interacted much with her recently, especially after Valentine's day- and neither had Qibli, for that matter. But matchmaking would have to wait, because just as the group was settling down, the vice principal shot them a pointed stare.

"Alright then," he began. "You five, follow me."

Whew- I'm finally done! To say writing this was hard would be an understatement, but at least now I am ready to write the chaos that ensues. Thank you for sticking with me on this, as well as for all the votes + comments, which are super important for the algorithm and getting content to reach more people. Also, look forward to new cover art soon, possibly in the next week or so. I'll see you all soon, with the next chapter!! <3