Clueless Advice

First of all, in case you didn't see my announcement this morning, my story is now #6 in wings of fire! (top 10 most popular) I assume it won't stay that way forever, and I probably will not get in the top 5, but thank you so so so so much everyone!! Second of all, I have a lot of motivation to write a specific chapter (not this one), so you may notice my POV schedule will be a little off for a while though I will try to update regularly. BTW this chapter takes place 1 week after the last one. Okay, enough of my rambling, here is the story: 

Moon spun around in her long dark purple homecoming dress, feeling like a princess through and through. It was probably the nicest dress she'd ever owned, and also her favorite. 

"YOU. LOOK. STUNNING!" Exclaimed Kinkajou, practically jumping up and down. Moon's friend was wearing a knee length yellow dress and a faux flower crown. The two of them were preparing for homecoming, which was in only 1 hour. Moon had been absolutely terrified to go at first, and she would much rather have preferred to read in the library, but it was really not feeling like such a bad idea so far. Besides, Kinkajou was not about to let her miss this- it was essentially like prom, but not prom, she had said. 

But there was still one thing that held her down. The thing that gave her a guilty pang in the chest whenever she thought about it. Two days ago, Qibli had pulled her aside during free period and asked her out to homecoming. And she had rejected him. Why? Because Winter had asked her first.

And she rejected him too.

Moon couldn't bear the thought of breaking someone's heart. Even worse, she had no idea what to do. No one had ever liked her back in Florida when she was the 'nerd'. And Moon wasn't particularly good at making decisions either. So here she was, the girl who had gotten asked out twice in the same day, and was preparing to go to her first high school dance with her best friend. 

Arriving to school in her mother's Toyota Camry, Moon stepped outside and smoothed down her neat braid crown. This is it: time to live through my worst nightmare-intense social interaction.

The Pyrrhia high school gym was completely decked out in streamers and fairy lights-The theme was history glam, but it seemed like whoever was in the P.H.S. party planning committee had decided it was better if they stuck mostly with classic high school dance themes that would make all the jocks and popular kids want to come. 

Moon took a step forward and nervously scanned the room. Neither Qibli nor Winter were there. Kinkajou had already headed over to the snack table, So Moon took a seat on the bleachers, fiddling with a stray strand of her silky black hair. "Hey, Moon," came a  voice from behind her. She jumped up in surprise. Turtle sat down beside her, eating a cinnamon roll. Moon blinked at him in confusion. The boy was wearing a tuxedo, unlike his usually casual clothes. But even though she had only known him for a month now, Turtle seemed like the kind of guy who wouldn't bother to dress up for an event like homecoming. 

"Is...something wrong?" She asked. He pulled down the beanie on his head, which was the only thing it seemed he never took off, no matter what. The boy sighed deeply. Moon noticed his gaze travel to the other side of the gym, where Kinkajou had moved from the snack table and was now dancing alone to an upbeat pop song. "I've known her since 6th grade when we had a project together in writing. She's always so creative and sweet- the kind of person that just brightens up your whole day, but..." He trailed off.

Moon wanted to pretend like she knew what she was talking about and say something about how it he should just go up to her and confess, like everyone does in the movies. But really, she was clueless about love. She opened her mouth to give him advice, but was interrupted by the arrival of someone new. Someone who didn't quite belong here.

Anemone.