Dead frogs and Crossword puzzles

The first day of writing after having author's block is always kinda weird, but anyways, I hope you like this chapter! (I kind of do a little bit)

Moon was normally quite shy. She disliked socializing and only liked attention when it came from her mother or friends. She had a reputation as the shy bookworm girl of Pyrrhia high school. But this one time, her first day as a sixteen year old, she could probably afford to be different.

Moon had never gotten a birthday party before. When she was in Florida, her mother, Secretkeeper worked two jobs at two different diners and was rarely home. The most partying they had gotten in was when her mother had brought Moon a miniature fruit tartlet with a candle in it for her 9th birthday. But after yesterday, Moon finally felt like she fit into society. It had undoubtedly been one of the best days of her life, both because of the party and because the weight of keeping Morrowseer and her past a secret had been lifted off her shoulders. So when she woke up the morning after her sixteenth birthday, she was so happy and relieved, everything felt perfect. As she went down the sidewalk to school, she skipped along and hummed a catchy pop song, actually looking forward to seeing people at school for once. Is this how Kinkajou feels everyday? She joked to herself. Nothing can ever ruin this feeling!

But, as it turns out, many things can ruin that feeling, and a long, horrible school day is one of them.

She plopped down on her seat in her 4th period science class, still trying to suppress her huge smile and not embarrass herself. Behind her, Turtle was working on a crossword puzzle with the other two boys to pass the time. Moon decided to drop in on their conversation. "Hey Winter, what's a five letter word for annoying?" Turtle asked. Winter took a moment to think of his answer. "Ooh I know one: Qibli!" Qibli turned around immediately. "Hey, I'm not annoying! I'm very annoying!" the blond boy said with fake anger and a smug smile. Winter rolled his eyes. They two of them were always squabbling-Kinkajou had told her that they met in 3rd grade and started out as enemies but had eventually grown closer.

Just then, the science teacher, Mastermind walked in. "alright children, in continuation of our unit on animal anatomy, today we will be dissecting frogs as promised!" He exclaimed with far too much enthusiasm. Some people from around the classroom groaned including Moon. The teacher looked at them in confusion. "Frog dissections are a fundamental staple of the high school experience! Not to mention the educational value is very high!"

He then began to partner people up and pass out the frogs along with scissors. "...Moon, you're with Sora" Moon turned around to see a girl with tan skin and chestnut brown hair styled in a bob walking towards her. "Hi I'm Sora" said the girl quietly. she seems shy...like me. Maybe we can be friends! This day just keeps getting better and better! Moon thought.

Mastermind walked by and dropped off a fat toad on a tray in front of them. Moon stared down glumly at the creature, feeling bad for it. great. I'm starting to think the feeling of pure happiness will not last forever. Thought Moon.

And she was right. The feeling would not last forever. In fact, it wouldn't even last the day, because catastrophe had yet to strike.