The Chia Pet

This chapter takes place 2 weeks after the last...and is inspired by my uncanny ability to mess up any baking recipe, no matter how simple. Also, I just remembered what a chia pet is and I absolutely HAD to include the cheesy commercial above, sorry not sorry :)

Kinkajou whisked the sugar and milk together, humming a calm song to herself. She looked over her shoulder at Moon, who was fumbling with a can of powdered cocoa and trying not to spill it on herself. The entire gang had come together at Moon's house to make Winter a cake-it was his birthday tomorrow, and although the Pantala university art program was not over for another 2 weeks, they let him come home for the weekend.

"Hey Kinkajou, are Qibli and Peril back yet?" asked Turtle from the other side of the kitchen. She had sent the two of them out to get eggs and flour...45 minutes ago. Part of her had started worrying that they had strayed from the original task to play a prank or something, and doubted whether she should actually have let them handle eggs and flour, two elements that (if they weren't needed for a cake) would be prime material for destruction and practical jokes.

Her boyfriend edged up to stand next to her and take the whisk instead, and Kinkajou went outside to look for her missing friends. She craned her neck to look off in both directions and was about to give up when she saw a small red wagon filled with food being wheeled forward by two teenagers. Well, actually she heard it before she saw it-

"UGH this is so heavy! Can you pull harder?" Whined one of them. 

"I would, egg-cept more food would fall out and break." retorted the other

"OH STOP WITH THE EGG PUNS ALREADY, QIBLI!"

"What? Don't they crack you up? Because I think they're egg-cellent!"

Kinkajou snickered a little and the two of them stopped in front of the house. To her surprise, Peril walked right up the stairs and flopped down on one of the porch chairs, visibly annoyed and Qibli sat down on the other.

"What is all this stuff?" Kinkajou asked, indicating to the small wagon with food. Peril rolled her eyes. "Well, someone screwed up, and we had to buy half the store!" She said.

"And that someone was you!" added Qibli

*FLASHBACK*

"Ok...so we have the flour, all we need are eggs" muttered Peril, looking at the shopping list, which only had 2 items on it, so it wasn't much of a list after all. She walked over to the glass fridge thingies in the back, pulling out a carton of eggs-and then realizing she didn't have the slightest clue where Qibli was. She whirled around to see the blond haired boy leaning haphazardly against a stack of miscellaneous canned foods and playing around with a box. She came closer to look at the box, which said 'grow your own chia pet: Bob Ross!' He turned to face her and smiled charmingly. "What do you say? Buy me a chia pet?" Peril raised an eyebrow. "umm...no. It looks absolutely useless, to be frank." Qibli sighed, exasperated. "It's BOB ROSS except his hair is a CHIA PET! This is the most GENIUS masterpiece you will ever see!" He said; But unfortunately Peril disagreed. And soon, the two were arguing and almost everyone was staring at them-until Peril accidentally dropped the carton of eggs in her hand and Qibli made an exaggerated gesture, knocking down the entire stack of canned food behind them. Long story short, a store attendant ran up to them, muttering "ugh. Teenagers and their chia pets again", making Peril wonder exactly how often people argued over potted plants from the 80's, and they ended up having to buy 20 dollars worth of canned food, a new carton of eggs, and...a chia pet.

________________________________________________________________________________

"okay, cookie dough time!" called Kinkajou. She didn't exactly know why Winter's cake had to have cookies on top, but it seemed necessary-this was already going to be a surprise party, so what's one more surprise? 

She gently pushed the round shapes into the oven and sighed in relief, wiping her hands on her apron. Even with 5 people helping her, making this cake had been exhausting-mostly because the entire friend group shares one brain cell, and staying on task is impossible. But once the cookies were done, everything would be perfect, because they would turn out mega awesome

Or so she thought...

BOOM! Came a loud sound from the oven. Everyone jumped up in shock and ran over to check the cookies, even Qibli who was busy caressing his newly bought chia pet. The cookies had exploded, and cookie dough was coating the entire inside of the oven, dripping lazily from the sides. 

"Oh no..." Moon said Quietly. Kinkajou sighed. "I guess we just had bad luck..." 

Peril glared at Qibli. "You're right. We did have bad luck. Time to sacrifice the Bob Ross chia pet!"

Okay...that chapter was really bad and also kinda long, but I had a lot of writer's block, and I obviously had to continue the tradition of adding a chapter about exploding cookie dough in a WoF as humans book. No, seriously, I have seen this exact event in every single fanfiction like this I read...