𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐜𝐫𝐲 𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐮𝐭

After a long day of surgery, Matilda couldn't do it any longer. She had to have Alex fill in for her.

Meredith was having the same kind of day, it wasn't going well. She felt like everyone was mad at her.

Meredith was in a supply room, putting things back on their designated shelves. Amelia walks in, and shuts the door.

Meredith looks at Amelia, holding a box. "I'm sorry about leaving the patient there. I didn't want to leave him there, either. And I am sorry for not talking to you about the house."

"You don't talk to me about a lot of things." Amelia nods.

"And you're mad at me for going away, and I am sorry about that."

"That's not—" Amelia gets cut off.

"I mean, I couldn't breathe. I couldn't exist. You know, I looked around at that house, and my kids, our kids— I couldn't breathe."

"You didn't call me." Her voice broke. "You didn't call Matilda."

"I didn't call anyone. I needed time."

"I am a neurosurgeon. I could have saved him." Meredith sighs. "And you didn't call me."

"Amelia.." Meredith looks down.

"Who contacted you first? The police? The paramedics? How far away was the hospital? How long were you sitting there waiting for them to declare him brain-dead? How many hours later was it before I was even informed? How many chances did you have when you could have called me? Why didn't you call me?" Amelia rambled.

"There wasn't anything you could've done. He was too far gone." Meredith tried to explain.

"You don't know that. You don't know." Amelia cried.

"Yes, I do."

"What if I could've helped him? What if I had a chance? I pull off miracles for a living. I have proven that I can reverse the impossible. I should have been there. If I had seen him or treated him—"

"It was too late." Meredith said, with a straight face. "By the time they.." She sighed, and shook her head, "It was too late."

"How could you do it? How could you unplug him without letting me know? I didn't get to see him." Amelia sucked in a breath, shakily. "I didn't get to tell him goodbye. I thought you would've at least given me the courtesy and the respect when my own brother was dying." Amelia sniffed. "I didn't get to tell him goodbye..because of you."

After Amelia left, Meredith walked back and forth, tears building up in her eyes.

"Damn it!" Meredith yelled, as she started to cry.

Matilda walked into the supply room, ready to cry.

Meredith turned around, covering her face, "Hi..Matilda." Meredith wiped her eyes.

"Hi." Matilda's voice broke, as she tried not to cry.

Meredith looks at Matilda, seeing Matilda's red eyes. Meredith walked up to Matilda, giving her a hug. She normally didn't like hugs, or give them for that matter.

But she needed one, and so did Matilda.

Meredith wrapped her arms around Matilda's waist, and Matilda wrapped her arms around Meredith's chest.

"I feel like I can't breathe..all the time." Matilda told her.

"Me too." Meredith sniffs. "Is today..that day?" She let go of Matilda, cupping her cheeks.

"Yeah.." Matilda cried. "This has been the worst day of my life." She looked at the ceiling as Meredith wiped her tears. "And I have to go home, and comfort my daughter..and that's gonna make me cry even more because—" She gets cut off by her voice breaking, "I hate seeing her cry."

"This isn't your issue. Why am I telling you? I mean, your my best friend, but.." Matilda looked away, "Your husband died. You should cry..alone."

Matilda left, so fast she didn't hear Meredith say, "Wait. You could stay."

She picks up everything she drops and tries to wipe her eyes, but everything falls out of her hands again. She wipes her red eyes, and breathes deeply.

Meredith picks up her stethoscope, but leaves everything else, lying there on the floor.

"Hey. Do you know where Matilda went?" She asks Alex, who's standing by a nurses station, he doesn't look up. "I needed to ask you something, but I didn't want to because I knew you'd say yes."

"She came out of the supply room crying, haven't seen her since. And if you think i'll say yes, then don't ask." He says, still not looking up.

She sighs, "I went away. I pressed pause on my life. And I really needed that." Alex looks up at her. "But since I've been back, I just— I can't unpause. I just can't get things going again. I go home every night to my house and it's..it's not my house. It was mine and Derek's house. And now he's gone, and it really just feels like a house. I came back, but i'm not home. And I really want to be home. Can the kids and I come and stay with you for a while? If it's not a big deal. I know Matilda was probably staying there, she needed a friend."

"Yeah. No big deal." He sends her a tight lipped smile, "And Matilda isn't staying at the house, she's at Arizona's. But only because she lost her house. I would've offered for her to—"

"Wait." Meredith awkwardly chuckles, "Matilda lost her house?"

"Yeah. She also got really depressed. She didn't talk much at the gatherings, drank and listened. She didn't come back after the Christmas party because Jocelyn was so worried about her mom, that she didn't wanna go to anyone's house, or leave her moms side. But anyways, she dropped Jocelyn off and never came back. You should really try to talk to her, have an actual conversation. Everyone's still really worried about her. No matter how many times she smiles and says she's fine. She's not."

"Well, you better check with Wilson because you know how she gets." Meredith told him. "And I was planning on going to her house after work. But now, I guess it's Arizona and hers place now."

"Trust me, I don't need to check in with Wilson." He walked away. "And let me know how Matilda is tomorrow."

literally like 1063
words— this chapter was
just to fill u in a little more
ig. and it's where the
episode ends basically. so,
imma write more. peace.