𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐰𝐤𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝

Matilda finishes her work day out in the younger Hewitts hospital room.

She couldn't decide what to wear.

"Mom," Jocelyn smiled. She couldn't stop since Meredith had come by to tell her she liked her mother.

"What?!" Matilda turns around fast. "What am I doing wrong?"

"Nothing!" Jocelyn responds immediately. "Come here."

Her mother sits on the bed, and Jocelyn gets her mascara—the kind her mother loves—and tells her mother to close her eyes.

"Go with that top and those slacks," Jocelyn tells her mother. "Meredith came to see me earlier."

"She did?" Matilda asked, fake surprised. "What did you guys talk about?"

"I'm not telling you that," She shook her head.

"That's no fun," Matilda looks into the handheld mirror, her eyelashes looking better than ever.

"That's life," The young blonde says, surprising her mother with her statement.

"Yeah, that's so true."

"I think Meredith will like the outfit," Jocelyn told her after a beat of silence.

Matilda bites back a smile.

"I don't want her to feel like I pushed her away. I mean, I promised her to dance and then.. I just disappeared," Matilda shrugs her shoulders. "I feel bad— really bad."

"Well you're here now," Jocelyn raises her eyebrows. "That's all that matters mom. She appreciates you. Your her best friend."

And more, Jocelyn thought.

Jocelyn applies lipstick to her moms lips—a one that brings out her eyes.

"How do I look?" Matilda stands from the bed, a does a little twirl.

She's wearing a champagne colored blouse and black slacks. Along with the necklace Jocelyn had gotten her for her birthday a year back—the one she never took off. It had an M on it, and by looks of it, it was expensive. She knew Jocelyn worked her ass off at a low paying job for it because she didn't have many options at the time— only being fifteen.

"You look beautiful mom," Jocelyn smiles. "I'm sure Meredith will think so too."

Matilda nods, and places a kiss on top of her daughters head.

"I'm going. Love you," She grabs her car keys off the table.

"Love you too."

🌹

When Matilda knocks on the Grey girls door, she really feels the anxiety she's been feeling the whole way from the hospital to Meredith's house.

The blonde stands in the chilly air, it being colder during night because they were in Seattle.

When the door opens to Meredith's home, Matilda can feel the warm air from her position outside.

She immediately hears Amelia fighting with Alex.

"No, those are for the guests," She pulls the board with the assortment cheese and meat away from him.

"Yeah, we came early to eat the best part," Alex grabs bologna off the board.

"Typical Alex," Meredith shrugs.