Chapter 9 - Tessia's Birthday Gala and Award Ceremony

Time Skip 6 months, 3 weeks

Today is Tessia's 6th birthday and Ms. Eralith has been meticulously planning this day for the past month. First at 9 am we had a family breakfast, then at 11:30, we left to go shopping, visiting a variety of stores for toys, training equipment, and clothes. The clothes are for the Birthday Gala and Award ceremony later in the evening, for those who greatly contributed to freeing the elves. Using the map and Pinky's notes the elves' assassination squads and rescue teams were able to find the slave trader hideouts and there they were able to obtain more information about the whereabouts of slave traders and where slaves were being held. Like a domino effect, this happened several times over the past 6 months, with the last operations discreetly invading Sapin and Darv. However, the freed human and Dwarf slaves started relaying their stories to their families about being saved by elves. This news reached the ears of the royal families which lead to an impromptu conference between the three races.

Flashback

During the conference, Dawsid and Blaine both demanded that the elves recompensate them for loss of property, needless to say, Alduin was fuming. How dare they call his people property, "If your children were kidnapped wouldn't you also rescued them?" Alduin asked.

"What bullshit are you spouting!?" asked Dawsid enraged {he probably mad, cause he infertile 😂}

"You see 6 months ago my daughter, Princess Tessia was captured by slave traders. Thankfully young Arthur was nearby and he was able to save my daughter and gain information about illegal slave trading outpost near our kingdom's borders. Naturally, as they were in our territory it was our duty to take care of these parasites that dared to lay their hands upon my people. Do you know how many elves we've rescued?" Alduin asked with rage and disgust present in his voice. "2'700! 1'500 female, 1'200 male, and 85% below the age of 16! Most were used for sexual pleasure, some made to fight in a colosseum, others made to do manual labor. Now I ask you Blaine, Dawsid, what would you have done if you saw your people in such a degrading, humiliating, traumatizing, and pitiful condition? Blaine, what would you have done if you knew that this was the fate that your daughter just barely escaped? Priscilla, what would you do if Prince Curtis was forced to fight to the death against adults with decades of experience and die a slow, painful, cruel death for the entertainment of a few twisted degenerates!?"

King Blaine and Queen Priscilla, ruled over Sapin, the largest and most inhabited kingdom out of the three. In, terms of power, they have the most mages and most diverse elemental magic. Alduin wisely chose to appeal to their parental side; if he could win them over there is nothing that Dawsid can do. By the changes of facial expression made by the King and Queen as they imagine their children succumbing to such fates. "I would have done the same," said Blaine while Priscilla simply nodded.

After much talk, it was decided that they would come together and place a ban on slave trading. That day a treaty was made, Interracial trading was banned in all three kingdoms. At first, Dawsid was reluctant but Alduin said if he finds any more elves being captured by the dwarves he would take them to war, to which Blaine give his support towards the elven king. Priscilla said that slave labor was quite common in Sapin and so to put an end to this would take a few years. Relaying this information to us over dinner with us I give the elves a piece of advice, "The heart of man is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked." The Royal family and even the maids and butlers all looked at me with intrigue, "Simply appealing to their parental side/moral side wouldn't work for most, why? It is because greed, lust, and pride are far more appetizing. Why pay employees' salaries when I can buy a few slaves? You need to appeal to their wallet. Get them to see that slaves would lose them money in the long run."

"What you're saying is quite interesting but as you said slaves are free, how do slaves cost more money than paid workers?" asked Alduin.

"Hidden costs," I say. "The starting bids for a slave from the information we got was around 250-275 gold and the price rises with each bid. Then the 'owners' have to provide transport, food, clothing, and shelter for each slave. Also, the work a slave can do is quite limiting as they can purposefully screw up as a subtle revolt. Slave owners now have to supervise said slaves to ensure that the work is being done; this is usually accomplished through whippings which can cause wounds and infections, leading to medical bills or loss of life and a decrease in production. With contract workers, employers do not have these problems to worry about and production quality could be increased with incentives on the employer's behalf."

"Amazing, I haven't thought about it that way, I'll relay this to Dawsid and Blaine," said Alduin while the rest nodded.

Back to the present, Gala

*Ahem*

"Introducing Princess Eralith of Elenoir!" announced a well-dressed elf.

Standing at the top of the staircase, wearing a long sleeve, deep red dress with gold accents and patterns; eyes gleaming in joy and a bright contagious smile, the birthday girl, my closest friend, Tessia. I couldn't help but fix my gaze on her as she descended the staircase, she looked so... "See something you like?" Virion asked with a sly smirk interrupting my train of thought. "Hush, do not ruin the moment," I quickly reply. Making her way towards our table Tessia took the seat next in-between mines' and Elder Rinia.

"Welcome everyone to the birthday gala of my daughter, Princess Tessia!" Alduin's voice boomed receiving a round of applause.

"Before we continue, as you all know, these past couple months, thanks to the dedication of several rescue teams, we have managed to rescue 2'700 of our kin. Today, this gala would also serve as an award ceremony to those who greatly contributed to the cause. Firstly, Lieutenant Colonel Sanders and Colonel Moore will be awarded the Chaconia Medal for their dedication and continued support." Said Alduin as he and Merial went to shake their hands." He then awarded 8 more elves before he did something I wasn't expecting. "Arthur Leywin, please come up on stage." After slowly making my way on stage Alduin continued, "Seven months ago my daughter while playing in our forest was kidnapped by slave traders," a collective group of gasps was heard as the matter was a well-kept secret till this point. "After being separated from his family, lost, and wandering in the forests, Arthur stumbled upon the Tessia and the slave traders. Strategically waiting until nightfall Arthur made his move, swiftly and silently dispatching the slave traders. After freeing my daughter, he found books in their carriage that he thought may contain information about slave trading routes and outposts. Thanks to Arthur not only was my daughter returned to us safe and sound; the information he provided also saved 2'700 elves and his advice also played a significant part a forming a treaty between the three kingdoms. For gallantry in the face of the enemy, I king Alduin, award you Arthur Leywin, the Trinity Cross First Class Gold. For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty or in this case voluntarily, I award you the Medal of Honor. For your aid in forming a treaty among the three races, I award you a medal that hasn't been awarded in the last 250 years, The Order of the Kingdom of Elenoir Platinum." When he finished Merial began to pin the medals to my left breast pocket. With huge smiles on their face, Alduin and Merial shouted, "Let the party begin!"

With this many couples took to the dance floor as others started animatedly chatting in groups. I saw Tess looking at the dance floor with a sullen expression, so I worked up the courage to ask her for a dance. "May I have this dance?" I asked extending my hand. Tessia turned to me and said "I thought you'd never ask," making our way to the dance the other couples cleared the floor and all eyes were on us. The first public dance of their princess. As we started dancing, I conjured a thick fog that reached knee height to add mystic to our dance. Nearing the end, I conjured tiny ice particles to fall and reflect the light, receiving ahh's and oooh's in response. But, none of that mattered as much as the smiling elf in front of me, lets end it with a bang I thought. Twirling Tess in the air using wind magic, I made the ice particles and fog swirl around her and when she landed it was made to dissipate into the crowd. The crowd cheered and then without thinking and hugged and gave her a peck on the cheek, wishing her a happy birthday.