Chapter 32 - A Noble Execution

"Hello Lucas, you know what day it is, I presume?" I asked the quaking half-elf. "Oh, don't be like that! Everyone is coming out today just to see you. Didn't you want this? To be the star of the show?" I mocked.

"*Knock, knock* Havaca we're ready, bring him out," a guard announced.

"Alright!" I responded grabbing a piece of rope and tying it over his mouth, then I firmly grabbed him by the nape of his neck and pushed him out of the cell. "Come on, Lucas it's time for you to burn with passion," I joked. "Ah, not in the best of moods I see... Well, anyway I'm certain today will be quite lit."

Walking out of the tunnel the sadistic crowd began to cheer as they saw the condition of the lad. Strapping him to the wooden chair that was surrounded by numerous haystacks, I began my speech. "Today, I have been asked by the high judge to carry out the execution of Mister Lucas. He said to me since I was the one to bring his heinous crimes to light, it would be almost poetic if I were the one to end him," I said in a solemn tone. "Cowardice, hubris, greed and lust, the temptation we all face on a daily basis Mister Lucas, here had given into many times over. And now today, here in front of everyone, in front of his many victims, we shall watch justice prevail!" Removing the rope covering his mouth I asked, "Any last words of repentance?"

"I'M SORRY!!" he repeated over and over earning no sympathy from the crowd.

"It's such a shame that it had taken such harsh circumstances for you to realize the hurt you've caused others." Taking a short pause feigning remorse I continued, "May the events of today be a reminder, a wake-up call to those who hide behind their status, to those monsters who lurk in the dark of night... You are not above the law, you will be found, you will be tried, and you will most definitely be punished. To those victims too afraid to speak out, to the bystanders too afraid to act, help is closer than you may think. Anonymous tips can be sent to any guardhouse through the crime stoppers app or even by postal mail or word of mouth. This holds true for Darv and Elenoir as well."

"In accordance with the law, and under the authority of the high judge and his Majesty, King Blaine, I hereby sentence Lucas Wykes to death for 6 attempted manslaughters, 1 count of treason, 13 counts of gross sexual misconduct, 16 counts blackmail, and 4 counts of extortion. Firing Squad! Ready your wands!"

"AY!" six fire conjurers shouted in unison. Dressed in all-black attire with specially made full face masks they stood with their feet placed evenly apart, right hand holding their wand vertically just under their chin, and their free hand hidden behind their back.

"Take aim!" the soldiers repositioned themselves, placing their lead foot in front with their wands pointing directing at Lucas.

"Ready your spells!" Small, weak fireballs swirled to life at the tips of their wands. Unlike my previous world, this is not instant death but instead, the person being executed will be burnt to death, leaving their ash to be scattered by the wind. Looking at Lucas once more, I saw the look of pure terror in his eyes as his mouth contorted in panic. Snot ran from his nose, tears spilled from his eyes, his mouth opened and closed, too scared, too shocked to speak.

"Fire!"

*Whoosh* the sound of six fireballs launched at the prisoner. Cries of pain filled the air alongside smoke and the scent of burnt flesh. 2 and a half minutes, everyone stared in silence, watching Lucas wail as he slowly passed out from the pain and smoke inhalation. Poking the corpse for any reaction I signaled to the earth conjures who made stone walls surrounding the body to act as a furnace to hasten the cremation process. 5 minutes in and the crowd began to disperse when Otis, Bairon, and a few others staying behind. After talking to a couple of officials, I took my leave finally crossing off 'Lucas' revenge' off my to-do list.