19

I woke up alone. Again. What was it with Mina and not waking up with me?! I'll admit, I missed having her in my arms already and I hoped I would never have to leave her, but whenever I thought that, a little voice inside my head told me it would never work.  I sat up and pulled my hair into a messy bun, before stretching and getting up to leave the bedroom, but not before I loaded up my pistol and put it in the waistband of my shorts, just in case. Then, I heard Mina talking.

I know I shouldn't have listened, but I heard my name and strangely, my survival instinct kicked in. I grabbed my glass of now-warm orange juice from beside the bed, and downed it in one, before pressing it between the wall and my ear to listen. I trusted Mina, but when it came to our jobs, we were still working for opposite sides, meaning there would always be a barrier.

"No, I think she's almost over her,"

Silence.

"I can't kill her just yet, I'm waiting for more information from her about MI6 and what they think they know about us,"

Silence.

"No, I'll report back everything to you. All I know so far, is that the words "British" and "intelligence" should never be in the same sentence,"

Silence.

"Please, she thinks I love her," she laughed.

Silence.

"Yes, I know she's pathetic, but she can be quite charming sometimes,"

Silence.

"No, I'm not in love with her. She's nothing more than another unlucky sniper assigned to me. And you and I both know what happens to snipers assigned to me," she growled.

Silence.

"Do I have to remind you about Billie Dean? She's not exactly in working condition any longer, is she? Funly enough, her wife has no idea it was ever even me they were trying to hit. And she did my job for me and shot her own soulmate," she laughed.

Silence.

"I do miss Billie though, her wife is quite similar to her. It's a shame she has to be wiped so soon,"

Silence.

"No. I want to be the one to do it. I've been put through it enough, don't you think?"

Silence.

"OK, goodbye,"

Silence...

My heart was beating so loud that I couldn't hear anything else. Suddenly, I started to shake, and the glass fell from the wall, smashing into a million tiny shards around my feet.

"Sweetheart, what wrong?!" Mina frowned, opening the door and seeing the glass everywhere.

"Nothing, I just tripped and dropped the glass," I laughed a little.

"I'll get the dustpan and brush, just don't move you'll cut yourself," and then she was gone.

I don't know what to believe. I mean, maybe she was just covering for us, or maybe she hated me. No. Mina wouldn't do that would she? She wouldn't just use me, right? My heart was telling me to trust her, but I knew deep down that I shouldn't.

"You're such a wally," she laughed, throwing me the brush. I swept it up quickly and walked over to her, my face now inches from her's.

"I love you," I whispered for the first time.

"Pardon?" she giggled a little.

"I love you, Wilhemina. I love you so so much," I sobbed, as she pulled me close into her warm body.

"You do?"

"I do,"

"So you've moved on?"

"Moved on?"

"From your wife, y/n,"

"Yes,"

"Then I'm sorry," she whispered.

"For what?" I frowned, pulling away from her.

"This," she said and grabbed her gun from her bedside drawer, before pointing it straight at me.

"Mina? What are you-," But then I understood. She never loved me. She just needed me to move on so she could wipe me off the grid.