21

I stumbled up the hill, waiting for my legs to give out underneath me, but they never did. The sun was setting now, making the sky orange and red and purple. Once I was up at the top, I took a moment to just breathe, to reflect and to calm down, before carrying on with my journey to the other end of the hill.

The damn thing was only three feet off being classified as a mountain, so you can imagine my exhaustion of climbing that with a huge backpack on containing weapons, clothes and a hell of a lot of guilt.

After taking a long breath, I continued my trek to the other end of the hill, where the clouds where casting large shadows over the ground and the sun reflected off a small stream to the right of me, making it look like the water had little diamonds in it.

I was finally there then.

"Hi, Billie," I smiled, sitting in front of her gravestone. I sat in silence for a while, listening to the birds going back to their nests and families for the night, or the occasional rustling of a shrub, or the low wind running through the grass.

"I did a bad thing Bill," I sighed, running a hand through my windswept hair, "I don't know if what I did was right. It was just impulse, like when we were on that mission and I just pulled the trigger,".

I sat there for a short time, deciding what to say next, I knew whatever I said would be difficult.

"I'm not sure if what Mina said was true, but even if it was, I still love you. I miss you Billie, I really do. I think MI6 know something, because Boss was really mean earlier and I'm usually her favourite! Well- I also killed Ally. In my defence, she just wanted to have sex with me and she didn't help us when you were dying. All she ever wanted was for you to be gone so she could have me which, funnily enough, was all Mina wanted with you too, but despite all of that, I guess I'm here to say I love you, Billie but I need to put us to rest," and with that, I slid my wedding ring out of my pocket and dug a small hole next to my wife's gravestone. I kissed it gently and dropped it in, before burying it again.

"I love you," I whispered, as a single tear fell on the newly overturned dirt, where the small silver ring sat beneath.

With that, I stood up and smiled at the place my wife was one last time, before walking away from her and back down the hill.

I felt lighter, as if all the weight I had carried with me for the last 18 months had just blown away. I had Billie to owe for that. I waved to the top of the hill and tuned to make my way back home, but then I was grabbed.

My gun fell from my back pocket and I was sedated quickly. Just before the sedative took over my senses, I saw Boss stood across from me, glaring slightly. And then it all went black.