Rise and Shine

Jack's POV:

I woke up to the loud screams of the alarm, immediately opening my eyes to the view of the orange curtains. The clock was so annoying to everyone in the room. I opened the curtains and got down from my bed, stretching my body, then scratching the gold fur of my head. Everyone else was awake, except for Legoshi. He was usually a loud snorer, but tonight he hardly made a sound. It wasn't normal of him, considering how his loud snores always woke up everyone in the middle of the night. It was rare for his snores to suddenly disappear, and it was especially rare to see him still asleep after such an alarm. Since he wasn't usually late for class, I was sure he wouldn't be snoozing any longer.

I enter the bathroom to brush my teeth and after I went to the closet to grab my uniform before anyone else does. I was the most energetic among the group of canines in the room, so usually I'm the first who gets ready for school. Miguno stands next to me, getting his uniform ready. He was a hyena with brown fur which became darker in his ears, hands and muzzle. He had a few spots on his head as well and had fairly small eyes. Ironically, he isn't a canine. He's more related to cats than dogs, but he made the exception. I didn't mind having him in the room. We just often poked fun about it.

"Hey," the hyena said, looking at Legoshi's closed pod while buttoning his vest and putting his tie on, "Legoshi isn't up yet." Immediately the room looked at the silent orange curtains and then looked at each other. We immediately knew someone had to wake him up, since some of us were already almost ready. Collot, the English sheepdog, decided to wake the sleeping beast. He walked towards the bed and knelt down while grabbing the curtains.

"Legoshi!" he yelled, opening the curtains which clinked loudly. Legoshi immediately woke, making a short gasp sound and widening his eyes. Collot stood. "You can't just sleep the day away, you know." Legoshi weakly got himself up. He looked like a mess; his fur was all over the place and his ears were floppy. "Rise and shine, Mr. Scary-Face," Collot joked, tugging his upper lip to the side which pulled his head along with it. His eyes looked like he was unwell, which is what I immediately figured out after he got out of bed.

Durham exited the bathroom and pulled his pajamas up. Durham was a coyote with a dull-brown colored fur with some dark spots along his body. He was a tough man in the dorm, often play-fighting and stuff with the guys. He was quite rude at times, maybe a bit of a pain to have as a roommate. He saw Legoshi getting dragged on the floor by Collot and laughed. "Legoshi, something tells me you haven't studied for the math test today either, huh?"

"No," Legoshi groaned, still having no energy to get out of bed and was left on the floor. He's a grey wolf. He's pretty tall, like Collot, and has grey and white fur. This was barely like him. He was often very quick to move and was often very organized. He, right now, was just a ball of messed fur and floppy ears.

"Well I sure know that feeling," Durham chuckled, continuing his routine as Legoshi got up from the floor and slouched in front of the mirror. His right eye squinted while his left remained unchanged and the thing with his ears looked the same as his eyes, both were weak and didn't stand like it normally does for him. I didn't think the other dogs knew the change in Legoshi's mood, but it scared me. He was staring at himself in the mirror.

"Hurry up and get changed, Legoshi," Collot said to the broken wolf.

No, something's wrong. His mood is even darker today.

My dormmates and I ran down for breakfast while Legoshi lagged behind. I didn't think much about him since I thought it was just him having some normal teenage mood swings. I didn't think of asking him what's wrong until he was about, I don't know, 10 floors behind us? That was when I waited for him and decided to ask him what was going on.