12

Ashton's POV:

The feast that Sage has been so excited for is going to be starting in a few hours, and I find myself in the kitchen chopping up a watermelon to help out. Everyone will bring their own dishes to share, that's what makes it the feast that brings the pack together.

Then, afterward, Zach, Owen, Sage, and myself will come back to the pack house and spend time together as our own little group. The day after the feast, the pack takes the day off from training except for the warriors who patrol. Thankfully, Sage has a group that volunteers to patrol post-festival day so everyone else can sleep in.

Apparently, before he had a mate, Sage used to do the patrol, but the festival is a form of holiday for the pack and everyone who has mates likes to take the following day off. He and Zach would watch a movie or two and then go to bed so they could patrol the next day.

Alder and I have spent a lot of time working together lately, as he's responsible for my training to be the future Luna. He's an amazing mentor and has been very patient as I adjust because being in a normal pack, and soon a form of leader to said pack, takes a lot of time to adjust to.

I'm nervous I'm going to mess up or disappoint the pack or, worse than that, disappoint Sage.

Alder understands my fear and he's been supportive of me in every instance. The Luna is responsible for advising pack members and helping the Alpha with whatever paper work they have to do because organizing and supplying a good pack takes a lot of work. They also have to help make decisions of who gets to be an ambassador, a head warrior, and the other important leadership roles in the pack. There's a lot to do, and I'll obviously be working with Sage when he takes over as Alpha, and he's organized and likes things to be done a certain way.

My biggest fear is giving advice to other pack members. Alder has said that he often goes to different places in the pack to meet with everyone and oftentimes pack mates will come to him for help and advice. That's what scares me; talking to people and them wanting me to give them answers because I don't always know what to say and I'm a little nervous around people who aren't Sage, Owen, or Ronaldo. Hell, I've been here for almost two months and both Alder and Hazel still scare the hell out of me!

"Sweetheart, you're zoning out," Alder says, pulling me out of my daze. "Not safe to do with a knife."

I look down at the watermelons chunks that are all different sizes and not consistent. It has nothing to do with my zoning out; I'm just not the best in the kitchen, but Sage is decent and I'll learn from Alder for the time being.

"Sorry," I apologize, sliding the cut up melon into a plastic bowl.

"Anything you need to talk about?" Alder asks.

He's been offering me one on one advising sessions outside of my training, usually when he can catch me, such as right now. He's really been assisting in boosting my confidence and I greatly admire him for that.

"Nothing new or different than what we've already discussed," I say, continuing to peel the fruit.

Alder hums, as he knows my insecurities. "As I said before, it is perfectly alright to have insecurities and you can't get rid of them overnight. You can focus on ways to alleviate your fears, but it will take time and you have a large group of people who will support you and help you," he explains, cooking something that smells amazing on the stove.

The words do help me a little and I feel relaxed now that he's reassured me once again. Alder's words and attitude show me a lot about how and why my mate turned out the way he did.

Speaking of, my mate comes running inside, cradling his hand and looking irritated and mildly anxious.

"What's wrong?" I ask, abandoning my task and rushing over to my make and grab his hand.