22

Ashton's POV:

My heart feels like it's been ripped from my chest. I'm howling and letting out pained cries as I limp after the wolves who are dragging my mate away from me and ripping my heart from my chest. I'm trying as hard as I can to run, but I keep tripping and I'm unable to catch up.

Nolan, Zach, Owen, and myself were the most harshly attacked, and I know it was part of their plan, but I don't know why or how they found us. There's plenty of wolves deep in the pack, but with their earlier ambush, there is no reason for them to hang around.

I let out another pained howl, trying to follow Sage's scent, but it's fading and weaker as they run faster away from us. I'm not the only one attempting to follow; Nolan is limping beside me and trying to find Charlie, but neither of us is in any state to run.

Footsteps pound on the ground beside us and I snarl, ready to attack, but Nolan relaxes a bit as the scent of the Eastern Mountain warriors fills my nose. At least we're not going to be attacked again, but I'm not going to stop trying to get to my mate.

I watched one of the Alphas who abused me growing up slam Sage's head against a tree trunk to knock him unconscious while another one did the same to Charlie. Of course I'm terrified for my pregnant pack mate, but Sage owns my heart and soul and I need him safe.

One of the wolves from the other pack jumps in front of me to stop me but I snarl and make her falter.

She's a Beta and she's smaller than I am, so she's trying to stay strong against me, but I could kill someone right now. She seems to sense that and out and calls through help with a small yip, and another wolf joins.

Nolan is in the same position as me, continuing to limp and snarling at the wolves who try to stop us. We are on the same page and these other wolves need to back off right now before I kill one of them. No one will stop me from getting to my angel, and if another wolf tries to stop me, they're my enemy as well.

However, the wolf that joins the Beta is a huge Alpha and I can tell that he's the same Alpha Bay that Sage doesn't get along with very well. He's an ally though and even if he doesn't love that Sage is the future Alpha, he's still a decent person.

Bay growls, trying to get me to turn around, but I slash my claws at him. Of course, he won't have that and the dick grabs my scruff and drags me away.

I try to claw him, but he lets out a scary threatening growl and throws me on the ground. I don't have the chance to get up because he's on top of me, his black eyes daring me to try to attack him again.

Deep down, I know that I can't get to my mate right now, not with my injuries. It hurts to know, but fighting an ally won't help me, so I give up my fight with Bay and let him drag me back to their pack house.

He sets me down in a small bedroom and orders me to shift back after he's done so and has put on clothes.

"Put on underwear but nothing else," Bay says, clearly still annoyed with me. "I'll go get your pack mates and a doctor."

My leg is bleeding badly, but the throbbing pain is nothing compared to the feeling in my gut. I know better than anyone here, except for Owen, what happens to Omegas who are brought to that pack. They're raped, they're hurt, and they're forced to miscarry if they get pregnant.

I don't know if I should share that knowledge with Nolan, because that is what awaits Charlie if we don't get there quick enough. It won't only hurt Nolan, but it will cause Charlie a pain almost as bad as a mate's rejection.

Zach and Owen are ushered into the room with me, both of them matching injuries on their legs to mine. They both look horribly upset, but they still have each other.