23

Sage's POV:

My head is throbbing when I regain consciousness and I remember everything that happened: the ambush, the Alphas, and being slammed against a damn tree to knock me out by an Alpha twice my size. I don't open my eyes right away because I want a better awareness of my surroundings before I let them know that I'm up.

I smell blood and the bitter scent of scared and injured Omegas, but I can't pinpoint a scent. My own is dulled and muddled, so they probably put us on some kind of scent blocker so it's harder to track us down.

The room is cold and I'm laying on a concrete floor, still in my wolf form. My fur doesn't stop me from feeling a metal cuff around each of my hind legs, and I feel another body pressing against mine. The size of it tells me that it's another Omega, one a bit smaller and frailer than myself.

I open my eyes very briefly and I see three Alphas in their human form standing in front of a door. Only one of them looks confident in his stance, whereas the other two look just like Ashton did when he came to our pack.

At least it's easy to differentiate between those that will actively hurt us and those who will shy away. I'm sure they're scared of Omegas, like my mate was, so I have a bit more confidence surrounding our escape.

The wolf beside me stirs and my eyes open wider when I realize that it's Charlie curled up beside me. He stiffens when he realizes that we are not at home or anywhere near his mate and he whips his head around, relaxing very briefly when he sees me. His whimper fills the room and I bite the back of his neck softly to get him to quiet down.

I don't want the attention of these Alphas on us.

However, luck is not on my side and the confident Alpha waltzes over to us. He throws a shirt and pair of shorts down to both myself and Charlie.

"Shift and put these on," he orders. "I'll remove the chains on your feet one at a time so you can put on the shorts."

I obey and shift back to avoid being beaten when I need to regain strength, but Charlie is more hesitant. It makes sense, but I urge him to copy me because if they decide to beat him for not listening, it could hurt his babies. Thankfully, he follows my lead and they have him change into the shorts first.

I growl at the Alpha when he lets his hands linger on Charlie's inner thighs and stares at him lustfully. It earns me a snarl in return, but Charlie is able to change so I couldn't care less.

When I change, the Alpha doesn't touch me like he did Charlie. It offers me a bit of relief, but I'm wary about what he'll do to Charlie because he's showing a clear interest in my pack mate.

Ashton mentioned that they forced miscarriages onto Omegas who got pregnant, so my anxiety is heightened. I need to protect my pack mate, no matter what happens to me. That's the role of an good pack mate and leader, and I know my recovery will be much quicker than Charlie's, especially if he miscarries.

"You got away from me the first time," the Alpha says, cupping Charlie's face in his hands. "It won't happen again."

Charlie winces and pulls his face away. He's crouched protectively over his baby bump, but he doesn't growl like I definitely would if I was being touched by an unfamiliar person. He is being safe for the sake of his babies, and I respect him for that, but I'd try to murder the Alpha if I had a chance and wasn't surrounded by a bunch of aggressive Alphas.

"First we need to get rid of that little problem, though," he says, nodding toward Charlie's stomach. "I won't have you pregnant with a pup that isn't mine. If you want a baby that bad, you're having one of mine."