17

Sage's POV:

I've never experienced an actual heat with my mate being an active part of it, but dad told me that when Omegas become more in tune with their mates that they show signs of heat even earlier. The reason behind this Omega tendency is that we are more connected and that way our Alphas can prepare and get their space protected and safe so they can dedicate their attention to their Omega.

Right now, Ashton seems to be developing that instinct; I've been in this light preheat for about five days now and Ashton has been pacing in front of the door, trying to discreetly rub his side against it to mark it as his space. It's funny to watch, as I've just been rebuilding and organizing my nest while he paces and growls at anyone who knocks at the door before blushing and apologizing profusely.

My real preheat will hit me soon and I'm just as nervous as I am excited to finally be intimate with my mate. As much as we touch, cuddle, and make each other feel good, we're finally going to have sex and I'm so excited to be intimate with him.

We discussed and decided not to use contraceptives because we're both in our early twenties which is when wolves are in their prime to have pups. My mom had me before she became the Alpha, so I know it's doable and that I'll have my Ashton right by my side the whole time.

Plus, it's rare to get pregnant during your first heat when you're first knotted, but it's possible. If it happens, it happens, but I'm not afraid.

I want to have kids. It makes me smile to imagine a little Ashton running around the house. A baby Sage would be cute, too. Maybe we'll have to have more than one. The chance that I only have one baby is pretty high because that's what happened to my parents, so I might have to have two pregnancies, not that I mind.

Ashton is nervous about having pups, but we have talked a lot about it, especially with my upcoming heat. He worries he won't be able to protect them like his parents couldn't protect him, but I know he'll be a great, attentive parent someday.

Or maybe sooner than someday, depending on how this heat goes, or even during Ashton's rut. Apparently if a heat and rut line up, it's brutal and can be overwhelming to both the Alpha and Omega because of the headspace we'd both be in, but there's a ninety five percent chance of pregnancy.

If I have pups, we may have to use contraceptives after because I'm not sure I want an entire tiny pack of my own running around.

"Ashton, can you please relax and come lay with me?" I ask as he sits in front of the door with his back to me. "No one is going to come in here with your scent as strong as it is."

He looks back at me and then to the door once more before he signs and walks to the bed. His eyes stay on the door until he reaches the bed and I grab his face and force our eyes to meet.

"You're being more attentive to the door than me," I comment and Ashton frowns. "You know our pack and no one is going to bother us with how thick the scent is on the door. My dad might show up, but that's just to bring us food, so can you relax?"

"Nope," Ashton replies, grabbing me and pulling me into his lap so he can have me and stare at the door at the same time. "Relaxing isn't really possible when my mate is about to go through his first heat with an Alpha being... physically involved, and I have to make sure you're safe. It feels like, for me, now that I know you're in this pre-preheat and I can sense it, that I have to be over protective to make up for my lack of attentiveness last time."

That makes sense, but it's sad to see how he's stressing already. Heats can get pretty painful, but I think Ashton is struggling more right now than I will through the whole ideal. Especially since I have him now to help ease the pain.